Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What is the best player to download so i can listen to MP3's in Ubuntu? P.S. i dont have internet yet for linux so i will have to download it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Music Player for Ubuntu?

What is the best player to download so i can listen to MP3's in Ubuntu?

P.S. i dont have internet yet for linux so i will have to download it in windows and put it on my third partition then access it in linux

there is rythmbox already, you just need codecs, try to play mp3 in it. it will automatically ask to install codecs..
    or there is Real Player 11, Amarok, Banshee, Mplayer and manymore

Just Joined!
    on my rythmbox there is no option to download the new codec, so how would i go about installing it?

open up your synaptic pakage manager and install gstreamer.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Banned
    Amarok is a piece of junk. People have to stop suggesting/recommending this program so something else that works half decent can become more popular.

Amarok is the most overrated POS program in Linux.

I know RythmBox and Amarok have their proponents and that's great because we should all use what we like that works for us. That's what Linux is all about. Having said that, I personally get really put out with these players that try to do everything. I just want a simple interface that plays music files. Consequently, I still use Xmms which I've used in professional broadcast situations for many years. Unfortunately, Xmms (as opposed to Xmms2) isn't included in the Ubuntu repositories. If you feel the same way, this is a really good how-to that will get you going with Xmms in a matter of minutes.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 07-27-2008 at 02:23 PM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered:#371367 New Members: click here

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kopete View Post
    Amarok is a piece of junk. People have to stop suggesting/recommending this program so something else that works half decent can become more popular.

Amarok is the most overrated POS program in Linux.
    Opinions eh. Not very scientific. But if you find you're the odd one out with every else disagreeing you have to ask if maybe you're the one that's wrong. If you don't like it you don't have to use it no more than anyone else has to listen to you run it down.

Banned
    You have to admit that Linux has problems when it comes to sound and video. I read in many cases people suggest using VLC.

I had Amarok going and have had problems with it before. But, I got a Sandisk mp3 player that works fine in Linux. I also have a hard drive I use as a data disk and I have mp3 files on it. So, there should be no problems. So, I started adding mp3 files in a play list. But, no matter what I do, Amarok will only play around 30 seconds (approx., there doesn't seem to be a fixed number) and then skips on to the next song. This was occurring repetitively. I've never encountered this before so it seems to be a new issue.

Yes, maybe it's all my fault. But, that is still an issue that I did not CREATE. Unless, I somehow went into a trance and forced myself to write a program in which Amarok will 'preview' music or play only a very short segment of a music file, I don't think that should be totally my fault. It's not intuitive what is going on nor did there seem to be a quick fix or any indication of why that was happening. Imho, it is just a silly function to have there without any indication of how to turn it off or why it's there.

Linux Guru
    No one said it's totally your fault, or that it's your fault at all. What I said was that neither your opinion or experience seems to represent that of the majority and it is unfair to think that your opinion/majority trumps everyone else.

A more constructive approach would be to start a thread on it and look for a solution instead of badmouthing the application to new users. Amarok isn't even a player in itself, it is a library management tool and uses other backends to play the audio so if you aren't getting full playback the issue is likely with your chosen backend.

Linux Engineer
    I've had this before with mp3 songs, only plays a short section at the beginning and then moves onto the next. IIRC it was trying to play stuff that hadn't fully downloaded from a torrent. Suggest check the file sizes.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast