Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
What are some good games that run on linux? I tend to flow more towards the FPSers and MMORPG....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Good games on Linux?

What are some good games that run on linux?
    I tend to flow more towards the FPSers and MMORPG.

Re: Good games on Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by lewnacy
    What are some good games that run on linux?
    I tend to flow more towards the FPSers and MMORPG.
    You're in luck then. The vast majority of commercial games available for Linux are FPSes. Some of my favorites are:

Quake 2, 3+Team Arena
    Unreal Tournament GOTY
    Unreal Tournament 2003/2004
    Doom 3 (not available yet, but coming)

I'm an RPG fan, though not MMORPGs. I'll let someone else comment on that one. As far as RPGs go, though, here's a couple:

Neverwinter Nights
    Nethack and any of it's variants (QTHack, GnomeHack, nethackX11, etc)
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Also check out planeshift for a MMORPG (I haven't yet, but it looks cool).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I just realized I forgot one very notable FPS that I play quite often, the original Doom and Doom 2. You can play these in Linux using the WAD files and one of many open-source ports of the engine. My personal favorite is Doom Legacy:

http://legacy.newdoom.com

And some people swear by another port, Doomsday

http://www.doomsdayhq.com/

Both of these engines (as far as I know) allow you to play Heretic and Hexen as well. The best feature IMHO is the ability to play in fully 3D-rendered OpenGL with dynamic lighting and shadows at high resolution.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Don't forget about Americas Army. It is a 100% free(unless you are a US Tax Payer), modern, and commercial grade FPSer. One of my favorites.

http://www.americasarmy.com/

If you have cedega Warcraft 3 runs FLAWLESSLY. It runs much faster too, only thing that might slow down is startup time but besides that I'd recommend Warcraft 3

Quote Originally Posted by necrocyde
    If you have cedega Warcraft 3 runs FLAWLESSLY. It runs much faster too, only thing that might slow down is startup time but besides that I'd recommend Warcraft 3
    Well, perhaps. But Cedega doesn't always run the same (or even run at all) on everyone's system. I for one have never had any luck getting Cedega to run at all, much less with any of the games I want to play. I still highly recommend only running Linux native games on Linux, since go-betweens like Cedega and WINE are shoddy at best. Glad it works for you, though.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by necrocyde
    Well, perhaps. But Cedega doesn't always run the same (or even run at all) on everyone's system. I for one have never had any luck getting Cedega to run at all, much less with any of the games I want to play. I still highly recommend only running Linux native games on Linux, since go-betweens like Cedega and WINE are shoddy at best. Glad it works for you, though.
    Oh dear,

I am running cedega on, Suse 7.2, Gentoo with 2.6.8.1 kernel, Mandrake 10, RedHat 9 and it certainly works with Warcraft3, Far Cry ( not multiplayer), Stronghold and Stronghold-Crusader (no multiplayer), Homeworld2 (no multiplayer mode), FIFA2004 demo no multiplayer, Never Winter Nights Demo..etc..

So were is the problem ??

I have 6 Athlon boxes over 1.300 GHz mostly about 512MB DRAM NVidia grafic cards 5200-5700, and geforce 4ti, 3ti.

Don't give up,
    remember:

If at first you don't succeed ,
    Try, try, again.

winfried

now since you guys are talking about linux games....which distro does really good when it comes to games?

please explain why.

Just Joined!
    [quote="imdeemvp"]now since you guys are talking about linux games....which distro does really good when it comes to games?

please explain why.[/quote]

What is a distro ??

A collection of programms for Linux which "CAN BE" but must "NOT BE " installed, if you have a pure Linux box for games only you might not be interrested in the multitude of servers provided by Linux, you can also chose a simple windows manager as icewm or xfce which is not binding so many resources.

Kernel

Second you can configure your kernel accordingly by leaving out a lot of stuff which you don't have and with which your distribution is simply delivered to you because the provider tries to fit as many computers as possible.

IMHO:
    - you should use Gentoo if you are a more advanced user of Linux, because you get a system which is tailored on your personal special box, which usually leads to a faster Linux box.
    - you can use Mandrake as a beginner because it is simpler and takes you lesser than 40Min. to install. No hassle at all.

Practically its up to you

Linux kernel you find at www.kernel.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast