Find the answer to your Linux question:
Downloaded a TV episode via torrents. File size: 349MB. However, playing it in players such as vlc/mplayer/Totem only playsback audio and no video. Dloaded ffmpeg to split streams. However, ffmpeg ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

how to tell whether a given avi file has both audio and video streams

Downloaded a TV episode via torrents. File size: 349MB. However, playing it in players such as vlc/mplayer/Totem only playsback audio and no video. Dloaded ffmpeg to split streams. However, ffmpeg only shows a single audio stream

ultz@homeworld:~$ ffmpeg -i movie.avi 2>&1 | tail -n 4
    Input #0, mp3, from 'movie.avi':
    Duration: 06:19:43.5, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 127 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Audio: mp3, 44100 Hz, stereo, 128 kb/s
    Must supply at least one output file

Stream 0 is usually the video stream. Also removing the audio stream produces a file with no data. Alternatively, removing the video stream produces a file of size about 25MB. My questions are:

- Could it just be an audio file with no video or is fmpeg/vlc/etc not able to see video stream coz of some unknown video codec?
    - If it is just an audio file, I can extract the audio-stream using fmpeg which comes out as a 25MB file. The original file was 349MB. What was taking up the other [349-25]MB of data then?

Thanks folks.

Linux Guru
    At that size it more than likely contains video, that's the average size of a 45 minute TV episode in DivX. Jabe you installed all of your codecs? What distro are you using?

Just Joined!
    Hey Rodney,
    Given the size of the file, I'm inclined to think the same. I haven't had to mess with codecs for quite a while - so don't recall what I've installed/not installed. /usr/lib/codecs has quite a long list. I remember playing with mplayer would give feedback on what (if any) codec was missing. My distro is Ubuntu-7.10. Appreciate your time and help.

Linux Guru
    Is this a problem with all files like this or one in particular? Is corruption a possibility? Also try going into Synaptic Package Manager, refreshing your sources (reload) and then install all gstreamer plugin packages. For this to work you'll need to have your universe/multiverse repositories enabled which you can do in Synaptic under Tools > Repositories.