Find the answer to your Linux question:
i can speak with the push to talk key but my team mates complan i sound like "im in the shower or behind a waterfall." i am running fedora 9 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

running ventrilo under wine emulator need to be able to speak

i can speak with the push to talk key but my team mates complan i sound like "im in the shower or behind a waterfall." i am running fedora 9 and attempting to use speex client. i tried re-installing speex and that did nothing.

i have spent about a week trying to fix this. please help

Linux Guru
    I don't have a proper fix for this, but, assuming that it's not a hardware problem, then you might have someluck trying alternatives, like mumble, for example.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

It's a native qt4 application, so you don't need wine to run it.

The problem is that ventrilo is the "norm" for gamers using voice chat while gaming and it has an extremely large market hold and a high amount of companies selling servers for it, so its not as easy to just switch to something native like mumble or teamspeak, i've had mixed results with ventrilo, for a while the way i sounded seemed to change daily

Linux Guru
    I see.

I really know very little about voip stuff, I don't know if there's a way to use both in conjunction or if mumble can work with any kind of voip server or requires a murmur server forcingly.

Just Joined!
    i have to be using ventrilo i think its some sort of voice issue. my teammates can hear me speak except for the waterfall noise in the background when i do speak.