Find the answer to your Linux question:
whats the best music player for linux? (actual problem expanded abit below) im using backtrack3, and intel soundcard (the other sounds work so i doubt its a driver problem). when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

music? (and technical command line stuff)

whats the best music player for linux? (actual problem expanded abit below)

im using backtrack3, and intel soundcard (the other sounds work so i doubt its a driver problem). when i play music, audilicious says thers nothing installed to play mp3, and other apps crash, or play with no sound output
    oh and, i think this is a no, but is it possible to write to a ntfs drive?

<-- damn hes making me wanna get up nd dance =.=
    Last edited by helixcs; 09-26-2008 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added to title

Quote Originally Posted by helixcs View Post
    whats the best music player for linux? (actual problem expanded abit below)

im using backtrack3, and intel soundcard (the other sounds work so i doubt its a driver problem). when i play music, audilicious says thers nothing installed to play mp3, and other apps crash, or play with no sound output
    What distribution are you using? Most major distributions don't ship with the ability to play MP3s out of the box due to legal concerns, but you can usually install support easily. The particular method depends on your distribution of Linux.

oh and, i think this is a no, but is it possible to write to a ntfs drive?
    Yes, actually. Most newer Linux distributions ship with the ability to read from and write to NTFS partitions. In Ubuntu, for instance, it's simply a matter of mounting the partition, then dragging and dropping whatever you want.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    its backtrack3, so slax based i think (remote-exploit.org)

i have a ntfs drive mounted, but it says its read only, and i cant change permissions (yes i am root)

kindof a stupid question, but how do you copy just the directory structure from one place to another? like make empty folders in the same hierarchy as orignal place

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Hmm... Well, I've never heard of backtrack3, so this might be beyond my experience. Hang in there. Perhaps one of our Slackware users can chime in.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    anything about copying the directory tree?

Quote Originally Posted by helixcs View Post
    anything about copying the directory tree?
    I know you can copy a directory and all its contents recursively (including subdirectories) but I've not heard of only copying the directories themselves. It might be possible with a BASH script though.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

To copy just the directories, you could run the following command where '/home/mysource' is the directory you want to copy the structure from and '/home/newdest' is where you want the new structure placed:

cd /home/mysource
    find . -type d -exec mkdir /home/newdest/{} \;

Just Joined!
    can someone explain how to install realplayer on linux with codecs so avi, mpg, rmvb, and so forth can be played?