Find the answer to your Linux question:
Bear with me I am a linux noob, but I installed Kubuntu on my laptop and I am having trouble with the format of my audio files. I cannot listen ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I have trouble with audio formats.

Bear with me I am a linux noob, but I installed Kubuntu on my laptop and I am having trouble with the format of my audio files.

I cannot listen to music that I rip off of CDs cause my audio players dont recognize the format (guessing WAV)

And I cannot burn the music I have downloaded to a CD cause they are not WAV (they are MP3 I believe)

Is there an open source file converter or some plugins I can install?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    You shouldn't need anything special to play an audio cd, you just need a media player that can do it.

To record an audiocd, you can use k3b. Make sure you select the right option to create an audio disk, and not a data one. Then drop the mp3 files into the right place to add them into the cd.

Just Joined!

Audio Codecs

Hey,

The problem with codecs and releases of linux is that in many countries there are legal issuses with decoding filetypes, etc. Eg: .WMA = Windows Media Audio which means Micro$oft have a patent on their file type.

For this reason some audio\video codecs are not released with the OS.
    In Kubuntu, (a version of Ubuntu, which is based on Debian) there are many ways of installing these codecs. Google will help you as to which packages you need.

Might is suggest you check here for some help though.. :P

Peace, -Harry

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close