Find the answer to your Linux question:
Never really done this before, but I am going to be covering overnight shifts for a while and want to bring a few movies from time to time without bringing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

want to rip some of my movies to my hard drive

Never really done this before, but I am going to be covering overnight shifts for a while and want to bring a few movies from time to time without bringing the actual dvd, is there a way to rip the movies to my hdd so I can easily watch them during the down time at work?

You should try the ogmrip. It would rip your DVD-s into .avi files.
    If you just want to put the DVD as is on your HDD, you can copy it into .iso file with K3B and watch with VLC, which can open it easily
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!

Arrow

If you are a mac user, you can use iDVD.
    And there are other two nice tools:

Burn - burning application for Mac OS X for FREE

I know this DVD Creator can burn and convert almost all popular video formats such as FLV, MPEG1, MPEG2, MP4, DAT, 3GP, 3G2, MOV, AVI to DVD.
    Besides, you can also edit the video by changing effection, edting the title and adding background music as you like.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It it'll play on vlc or mplayer you can also stick it in a file. But, according to that DVD variant of 'You wouldn't steal your grandmothers vent!' thing, you'll be causing terrorism.
    All power is violence; all power is evil.
    Money As Debt

Just Joined!

Re:want to rip some of my movies to my hard drive

Hi lockon,
    Process can be quite simple, however you will need a couple of programs to do it. I use DVD Decrypter and auto gordian knot. What the two programs do is DVD Decrypter allows you to rip the raw dvd data off the disk while also decryping it and removing all of the protection software, auto gordian knot convert the raw DVD data into more common media.