For the last few weeks I have been in the process of moving my operations from winXP to SuSE Linux 9.1 i.e. trying to make ma dual boot system into a Linux-only system. Up to now all has gone smoothly, but now I have hit a bit of a bump. I cannot seem to get proper 5.1 sound from my SB Audigy card. I have sound all right, I even have all the speakers working, but it seems that only in stereo. If I try to watch a movie with ac3 5.1 sound the quality of it is appalling. I do have all speakers producing sound, but it isn't very nice. I had the same problem with XP but there the ac3 filter allowed me to pass ac3 decoding on to my Audigy card, which made things beautiful. I tried to do the same in SuSE, more specifically in xine by telling it to pass ac3 decoding to the sound card but all this approach achieved were these crackle-pop sound from the speakers. Now I'm guessing that it tried to pass the digital output to my speakers, but that's not what i want. I want it to leave ac3 decoding to my audigy card and not do it by means of software. Any ideas how to do it?

some specs:
SuSE 9.1, kernel 2.6.5, alsa v1.0.4, SB Audigy