Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How does Flash interact with X server?

How does Adobe Flash, specifically the Firefox plugin, interact with the X server? Does the rectangular region containing the Flash have a corresponding logical entity within the X server?
    I am curious because I was wondering if it would be possible to manipulate where and how that rectangle is displayed by writing some code for the X server.
    Can anyone answer this question or direct me to some good resources?

This is mostly out of my league, but this may help. Flash is processed through the program that it is being run on. For example, if you are running a Flash video on Firefox, then Firefox will decyfer and control all aspects of that Flash video and its content. All X does is figure where Firefox is on the screen you are viewing it on. Even if the video is, for say, 'Full Screen' it is still a part of Firefox and will be run through Firefox, even though it is the primary viewpoint on the screen.

This is stretching my knowledge of how X interprets, and I hope it helps, but the best place to ask that would probably be on an Adobe development forum, or on the development portion of this forum.