Find the answer to your Linux question:
How do playing games on Cedega compare to playing games on Windows (XP/Vista)? Better? Worse?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Games on Windows vs Cedega

How do playing games on Cedega compare to playing games on Windows (XP/Vista)? Better? Worse?

Worse of course.
    Cedega can only try to mimic Windows. This only works with limited success.
    And even if it was mimiced perfectly, it would still cost performance to do so.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

I'm not a fan of Cedega at all. It sells itself as being 100% professional but really it's as hit or miss as Wine. At least Wine is free and open source and there are several graphical front ends to give you a similar experience to Cedega.

Performance wise with both Cedega and Wine, there are reports that for programs that do work flawlessy that there are sometimes performance increases. I'm not sure that on the whole it's worth it considering the failure/success ratio.

I've actualy had more success with wine than cedega. I used cedega for a couple games, gave up with them not working, and got them working with wine on the first try. Cedega is crap IMO
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

The only real benefit I had using Cedega over WINE was their graphical interface, which was only a "benefit" when it worked properly. Most of the time I'd have had the same result just using WINE. Don't waste your money.

If you're a big gamer, I would suggest keeping a dual-boot system. Microsoft Windows games will always run better on the system for which they were designed.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    wine is better than cedega,having said that there are some games that will only run on windows.

Linux Newbie
    You may also want to look into the gamers edition of Code Weaver's Crossover. Same deal as cedega. It's just wine with some tweaks. But if you're going to pay for a wine variant, I think cross-over is a little better.

But really, it's all Wine
    She sells C Shells by the sea shore.