Find the answer to your Linux question:
If looked and looked through the forums and every time someone asks for an rpg they're all rouge-like, mud, or NWN. I'm looking for a free rpg similar to NWN ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help finding an RPG?

If looked and looked through the forums and every time someone asks for an rpg they're all rouge-like, mud, or NWN. I'm looking for a free rpg similar to NWN but without the cost and can run natively in linux or in wine or an emulator (though I don't want any Asian-based games) What it runs on doesn't really matter to me. I don't want an mmo either, there's alot of those. I'm trying to find a single player, free, rpg similar to NWN or Daiblo but without the cost and I can run, by emulator or wine, linux. Any suggestions?

There you go...
    Its bit funny.
    Welcome to the Freedroid homepage
    cause you role play a penguine.
    Never make any misteaks.

Read my Blog at --> Penguin Inside Subscribe Feed

Just Joined!
    That's kinda what I'm looking for but is there anything more D&D-ish?

What do you mean by D&D-ish?
    Never make any misteaks.

Just Joined!
    Something closer to Bards Tale but alittle newer maybe? Something like a free Diablo that runs on Linux would be nice but I've tried running a shareware version of Diablo in wine and that didn't work.

Well Diablo I && II works well on Wine.
    Never make any misteaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Killtasticly View Post
    Something closer to Bards Tale but alittle newer maybe? Something like a free Diablo that runs on Linux would be nice but I've tried running a shareware version of Diablo in wine and that didn't work.
    We've already mentioned a free Diablo-clone in Freedroidrpg. The full versions of Diablo I and II work well in WINE. There's also a Linux client available for the first Neverwinter Nights. That's about as D&D as you can get.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Is there anywhere I can get the full version of Diablo I or II for free? I might be getting NWN but I want something to play if I happen to not get it.

Is there anywhere I can get the full version of Diablo I or II for free?
    Not legally, unless you have a friend who's just tired of their copy. I know there are places you can get the original Diablo for very cheap, like Half Price Books. Usually it's on the jewel case rack for $5USD or less. Diablo 2 (if you can find it there) is usually around $10-20USD.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    That's kinda what I'm looking for but is there anything more D&D-ish?
    Strange words. Diablo has nothing at all to do with the D&D rules, I don't know how it was programmed or if there's anything that resembles D&D inside it, but for me it's just a hack and slash arcade game.

On the contrary, NWN in fact is very close to D&D, as are the previous series based on Infinity Engine (Baldurs, Icewind and all that stuff, which by the way will be really cheap if you can find them at all, and they run just fine in wine). This becomes obvious by just looking at the manuals. NWN is based on D&D. While not being an 1:1 copy of D&D it's close enough for a game that is presented to the user as a real time game (though internally it's just turn based like D&D and you have to keep that in mind if you plan on getting the most out of that game).

So, NWN is too rogue-ish for you, but it's almost pure D&D.

Diablo has nothing to do with D&D, and freedroidrpg is almost an 1:1 copy of Diablo (excep for the artwork, that is) but I assume you don't like it.

These are two contradictions in your words.

NWN can't be obtained for free by any legal means, but it should be cheap enough these days. If you are going to buy it I'd recommend the diamond edition, so you will get all the latest contents along with the two official expansions which will be required as well to play most custom contents that you can find in nwvault (which by the way, will greatly expand the game).

I don't know of any similar thing that's open source, as much as I'd like to. I am not much of a gamer, but once in a while I still enjoy NWN.