Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm attempting to make a jukebox to put in my bedroom for the excessive amount of music i have (over 10 gigs). i want to use amarok but i want ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Music Jukebox

I'm attempting to make a jukebox to put in my bedroom for the excessive amount of music i have (over 10 gigs).

i want to use amarok but i want to what the best way to control this software would be. Meaning should i use a touchscreen from a car or is there a remote that can view linux cause that would rocks.

Thanks for any help. Oh and you can make suggestions to on other software/hardware setup, though i plan on using an old 633mhz celeron from an HP.

Thanks

Linux Guru
    Wow! That Amorak looks away better then RythymBox!

I'm going to have to try that out, thank!

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Just Joined!

Okay

Well i'm glad that i got you excited about amorok but i do really need help.

Linux Guru
    For your problem...

I don't know of a remote that will both tranmit and receive data from a linux box. I know there are several programs that should accept input from remotes.

I know two people that use touch screens with there linux boxes and they claim they work great (both are car mp3 players). I'll try to contact them and ask them more about their setups.

Based on those two (small) pieces of info, I would suggest going with the touch screen.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux Engineer
    You could use Linux Infra-Red Remote Control (LIRC) for the hardware and software. LIRC

Then use mplayer to play your files as this can be controlled from LIRC.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Screw infrared...Check out ATI's RemoteWonder. It's a RF remote, so you can use it without line of sight. It has a decent range on it: you should be able to use it throughout your house with no problems. There's also a driver in the kernel now for it, so getting it working is no problem at all.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    what about that Gyration media remote. I didn't see any linux drivers but are there? i don't know but that remote rocks.