Hi folks!

At first: I am new here. So I want to introduce myself to you. I am 21 years old and live in Germany, Saxony.

I used Linux a while ago and was very impressed, but because of missing support I gave it up some day... But now I thought I could use Linux for my actual project - a HTPC which I built 2 months ago.

Actually I use Windows XP Home and MediaPortal. It runs quiet well, but I wonder if it is possible to use a Linux distribution instead... I have absolutely no idea if it works and I did not get satisfying answers on my questions using google...

In fact I registered here with the hope that you can help me solving my problems. Okay, let me start asking now... Be prepared...

1. Is there a special Linux for HTPCs? I read about mythTV, but I guess it is nothing for me, because I do not need a PVR actually, because I watch TV via digital cable (DVB-C).

2. I need a programm which offers: Multimediaplayback of: VIDEO (.avi, .divx, DVD, BluRay, HD-DVD, .mpeg(2), .mkv, .mp4 and so on... - I also need AUDIO-support for .ogg, .mp3, .aac, FLAC and so on... Then it would be really nice if there would be an integrated browser, weather, webradio, webtv, ... - Let's call it modules... Last but not least: A library for music, video and images...

3. I am using the AMD/ATI Chipset 780G which makes it possible to watch BluRay in 1080p. Does Linux support this or not? I did not really find a full answer until now...

4. Is it possible to use my MCE-Remote with Linux?

So, as you can see, I have many questions. I will stop asking for now and hope you can give me some answers. I hope it will be possible to fulfill my dreams.

Thanks a lot,

sincerly yours Tony aka toonfish.