Find the answer to your Linux question:
RH Linux enterprise distro, default CD player reads the music CD identifies title and tracks(song titles) but will not play the CD. Sound check works and is successful. hardware is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

CD player reads disc no sound

RH Linux enterprise distro, default CD player reads the music CD identifies title and tracks(song titles)
    but will not play the CD. Sound check works and is successful. hardware is a DVD/CD player

is this an issue with which device it is pointing to? /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd? superwrite master
    dvd/cd (samsung i think), no soundcard(intergated in motherboard)

thanks,
    had99

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by had99 View Post
    RH Linux enterprise distro, default CD player reads the music CD identifies title and tracks(song titles)
    but will not play the CD. Sound check works and is successful. hardware is a DVD/CD player

is this an issue with which device it is pointing to? /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd? superwrite master
    dvd/cd (samsung i think), no soundcard(intergated in motherboard)

thanks,
    had99
    Assuming that the cd/aux slider of your mixer is not zeroed nor muted the problem could be that your cd drive doesn't have the audio cable attached, in which case you will only be able to hear audio if you enable digital audio extraction, only some media players can do this (or if you first rip the cd to some media format in your hard disk).

Since the tracks are seen and correctly identified the drive and the devices nodes shouldn't be a problem.

Just Joined!
    i92guboj,
    audio cable to the motherboard? i built the computer myself don't remember a audio cable. sound is intergrated w/motherboard(dolby). sata connection to MB
    i'm getting a disk read error in a log file, also only see the first track.

thanks,
    had99

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by had99 View Post
    i92guboj,
    audio cable to the motherboard? i built the computer myself don't remember a audio cable.
    Cdrom drives have an 4 pins autio connector in the back, next to the place where you plug the ide or sata wire. In this audio connector you have to plug a cable that goes from the drive into an aux or cd_in connector in your mother board (look the motherboard manual if you can't find it yourself).

pci audio card also have these kind of connectors.

When the drive acts as an audio player it needs this cable, otherwise no sound will be heard.

Some applications, however, are capable of doing "digital audio extraction", which is basically the same thing you do when you rip an audiocd. In this case, the cable is not needed, but if you use such capability it's not the drive who plays the music, but your cpu, that added to the ripping means a lot of wasted cpu.

i'm getting a disk read error in a log file, also only see the first track
    I am not sure what are you saying there. However, you can try one thing. Try to rip a cd, then try to play the resulting mp3 or wave files, if you can extract and play them, then the problem is that missing wire. If you can't rip them, then it's time to look at the drive itself probably. If you can rip them but they do't play, then it's your sound system which is screwed.

Just Joined!
    when you say "sound check works" what does that mean? Is there a sound emitted?