Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
My problems seem to be more related to running games via Wine rather than native. All games I've tried to run native run FLAWLESSLY. However, I still miss Team Fortress ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Why does ATI hate us?

My problems seem to be more related to running games via Wine rather than native. All games I've tried to run native run FLAWLESSLY.

However, I still miss Team Fortress 2 without Windows and every forum I've been to seems to say that it's all ATI's fault that it won't run correctly in Wine thanks to memory leaks and glitches.

Nvidia kids get all the love.

So go buy yourself some love man, get an Nvidia card. I bought a PNY PCI 256 MB, which turned out to be pure Nvidia chipset luckily. Only cost $50. USD about a year ago.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I have a 4850... I'd rather let the drivers do the work than have to go out and replace a perfectly good GPU.

I hear ya, on the other hand, I hear ATI is getting better with their drivers. Hopefully it will get straightened out soon.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    I hear ya, on the other hand, I hear ATI is getting better with their drivers. Hopefully it will get straightened out soon.
    I've been hearing that for years

Right now, they are waaaaaay behind nvidia when it comes to linux drivers. And none of the open source drivers are ready. Maybe in 5 years they will catch up, however the nvidia drivers will surely be better by that time as well, so unless they do some serious redesign there's no way that the situation is gonna change at anytime soon.

It just plain simpler to go with the Nvidia switch imo.

Just Joined!
    I guess if the drivers automatically update then you'll get continual problems, why not upgrade?

Linux Guru
    You get problems anyway. Even if you don't upgrade the drivers.

The fglrx drivers will break with each new kernel release. I use an ati in one box and I have to keep linux 2.6.28 in that box, when the current is .30, because fglrx simply doesn't keep up with the kernle releases.

And if it's not the kernel then it's xorg.

This could be solved by having high quality open source drivers. But actually, none of radeonhd of radeon is ready. They are a no-go for 3d, and a real pain for certain setups. For me in that same box, they won't work with dri, and without it, the performance is in par with the vesa generic driver.

The only reason I bought this card is that I was feeling like a masochist fan of pinhead (hellraiser) that day. I was well aware of all these problems.

Well, that and the fact that there's nothing like the 2600 for agp in nvidia, and I wasn't feeling like buying a whole new pc to use a pcie card.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    And years ago ATI was the bees knees for non-windows video support. Now, it all seems to belong to nVidia. Fortunately, I have an nVidia 8800GT card in my workstation, and nVidia chipset in my Dell laptop, so they both work well with Linux.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!

Thumbs down ati does suck

I did a upgrade to Ubuntu 9.04 a few months ago ati sucked. I still don't have 3d working right.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast