Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All, Do any games actually use OpenGL 2? I've seen a lot of screenshots and it looks amazing....so, where can I find a game that uses it so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

OpenGL 2 Games?

Hi All,

Do any games actually use OpenGL 2? I've seen a lot of screenshots and it looks amazing....so, where can I find a game that uses it so I can see it in action? Thanks!
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I know that Secret Maryo Chronicles uses OpenGL, but I don't know which version. Maybe the new release does.
    I do know that the graphics are pretty good.
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

Just Joined!
    OpenGL 3.0 (the current version) is just a more advanced version of OpenGL 2.0 for the most part. I've only used version 3.0 for programming, but from what I understand 3.0 just adds more to 2.0. So look into that and you'll probably find more of what you are looking for. I know Quake 2 uses OpenGL 2.*, and its got very good 3D graphics. OpenGL is the leading graphics development utility (debatably), so you've probably played games with it before anyways.

yeah I know...but when you look at the comparisons between 1.0 and 2.0 you can see tremendous differences so...Quake engine uses 1.0...not 2.0 (or 3.0). So..was just hoping to see some games using 2 or above. I think Yo Frankie uses 2 but it's still not quite stable enough to use. I just don't get what the point of having such a great open source graphics module if it's not really being utilized....
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Just Joined!
    hmm... I can't think of anything specific that uses it then, and it's not always that easy to find out. I know a lot of games are written in C/C++ and OpenGL is pretty popular for graphics in those two languages so I'm pretty sure it's utilized somewhat frequently, but I can't name any specifics. Sorry.