Find the answer to your Linux question:
Greetings folks, I'm not exactly new to the Linux community, as I like to play with one version after another on various machines. However, today I have a new need. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux for a Media Center

Greetings folks, I'm not exactly new to the Linux community, as I like to play with one version after another on various machines.

However, today I have a new need. I picked up an older Sony Vaio the other day, and if possible I'd like to use it for a media center for the living room.
    The specs are as follows:
    Pentium iii 500mhz
    256mb ram (for now)
    16mb Diamond Multimedia Viper V550 SDR ATXTV agp video card (VGA and S-Video)
    Sony cd/dvd
    Sony cdrw

I'd like to use this machine as:
    a. it doesn't look half bad, its actually somewhat aethestically pleasing compared to the normal beige box
    b. it has both usb and firewire from the factory (I'm normally a Mac guy lol, Firewire rocks.)

I've tried doing some Google searches to find a Linux distro for use as a Media Center. The only one I've really come across so far is eAR OS. However, I've not been able to find requirements on the site, nor have I found any other distro's.

I could setup a stripped down copy of Windows XP that loads directly into a Front End, which would for sure allow me to setup an IR remote, but if possible I would prefer to use an OpenSource solution.

Using XP would also for sure allow me to plug in my HFS format external drive (via MacDrive 7) and play from it.

In the future I might want to EBAY an older ATI All-In-Wonder card for the machine, and a USB2.0/Sata combo card as well.

I've yet to download eAR OS, but I should have it sometime this week. Will eAR OS be sufficient, or is there another distro that would be better?

Linux User
    GeeXboX HomePage
    is built for older systems. You can see if it is what you're looking for.
    Registered Linux User #420832

Just Joined!
    Definately looks interesting, and runs on older Mac systems too. I will definately give it a shot to see how it compares. Thanks.

Anyone else?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherStyle View Post
    The specs are as follows:
    Pentium iii 500mhz
    256mb ram (for now)
    16mb Diamond Multimedia Viper V550 SDR ATXTV agp video card (VGA and S-Video)
    Sony cd/dvd
    Sony cdrw
    If by multimedia, you mean TV, then this is woefully underpowered. You may be able to do analog TV, that that will be discontinued in the US. HDTV will be impossible with this rig.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    If by multimedia, you mean TV, then this is woefully underpowered. You may be able to do analog TV, that that will be discontinued in the US. HDTV will be impossible with this rig.
    No, for tv I can just watch the cable on the tv itself. I'm hoping to set this up for my family to be able to watch the massive pile of movies and tv series I have on the tv instead of having to burn tons of dvd's or forcing them to watch them on the computer.

Pretty much I'm trying to make an AppleTV since I don't have the funds to buy an AppleTV. Since I have the extra equipment lying around, I might as well put it to use.