Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Ubuntu 8.04 Rhythumbox Music Player Application -> Sound & Video -> Rhythumbox Music Player Starts the program. Under Music it locates .wav file. Clicking [Play] won't play the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Rhythm unable to play .wav files

Hi folks,

Ubuntu 8.04
    Rhythumbox Music Player

Application -> Sound & Video -> Rhythumbox Music Player

Starts the program. Under Music it locates .wav file. Clicking [Play] won't play the file. No problem on playing YouTube and online sound clips on Internet.

Please help. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Guru
    I have never liked rhythmbox. It never seems to be able to play anything, as you have seen.

I use Audacious, Mplayer and Kaffeine. Just make sure that you install all available plugins. This is what will give you the support for most of the file types.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I have never liked rhythmbox. It never seems to be able to play anything, as you have seen.

I use Audacious, Mplayer and Kaffeine. Just make sure that you install all available plugins. This is what will give you the support for most of the file types.
    Hi waterhead,

Thanks for your advice.

Now I have audacious and audcity installed together with following packages;
    ubuntustudio-audio
    ubuntustudio-audio-plugins

But still I can't make them to work.

Audcity is a nice GUI package. It has record and playback functions. However I can playback the .aup file recorded but without sound. Also it can play .wav files without sound.

Any advice. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

Linux Guru
    It sounds like you may need to configure the sound system.Open this program.

System-->Preferences-->Sound

Change some of the default settings, and run tests. If you can't get any sound, open the volume control panel and make sure the sound isn't muted. You can open it with this command.
    Code:
    gnome-volume-control
    Maybe check this first.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    It sounds like you may need to configure the sound system.Open this program.

System-->Preferences-->Sound

Change some of the default settings, and run tests. If you can't get any sound, open the volume control panel and make sure the sound isn't muted. You can open it with this command.
    Code:
    gnome-volume-control
    Maybe check this first.
    Checked. All controls there enabled with max output except CD which is disabled. I'm NOT playing files on CD. I can record .aup file. On playing back it has no sound. The pointer is moving.

System -> Preferences -> Sound -> Devices

Code:
    Sound Events (Sound playback0/Music and Movies(Sound playback)/Audo Conferencing(Sound playback) - ALSA-Advanced Linux Sound Architecture

Audio Conferencing (Sound capture) - Test Sound

Device - HDA Nvidia (Alsa mixer)
    With above configure, clicking [Test] starts sound. Not other selection allowed.

Edit:

On Audcity

Help -> Audio Device Info
    Only a blank window, nothing there

satimis

Linux User
    Here is a shot of mine, 8.10 Rythmbox playing .wav file as screenshot taken.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Registered Linux User #420832

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal343 View Post
    Here is a shot of mine, 8.10 Rythmbox playing .wav file as screenshot taken.
    Hi Hal343,

Thanks for your screenshot.

Now I can play .wav files on Rhythumbox Music Player. But there is a trick. If after playing the sound clip on a website Rhythumbox won't play any .wav file. I must logout and relogin before Rhythumbox can play the sound file. Similarly if after playing .wav file on Rhythumbox clicking the sound clip button on a website won't play. I must also logout and relogin. How to solve this problem. TIA.

Furthermore how to record sound of the sound clip on website? Gnome Sound Recorder can't work to record it.

B.R.
    satimis

Linux User
    I believe audacity will work for that, but haven't tried it myself, even though I have it installed. I won't have time to try it for a couple of days.(busy weekend)
    Registered Linux User #420832