Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am trying to use Xine to watch a homemade DVD. If I try to watch a store bought DVD, I open Xine and click the DVD button and it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Homemade DVDs in Xine

I am trying to use Xine to watch a homemade DVD.
    If I try to watch a store bought DVD, I open Xine and click the DVD button and it works perfectly.
    But not with my homemade DVDs.
    I have some DVDs that I made myself, and for all intents and purposes they are regular DVDs. If you browse to the folder you see the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, with the standard BUP, IFO and VOB files inside.
    But when I click the DVD button on Xine, I get an MRL error, meaning it can't find the DVD!
    When I try to open the VOB file from Dolphin I get like, 15 minutes, and then it craps out.
    What gives?
    Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network.

Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is usually due to the DVD authoring software you used not generating a DVD to standard. What software did you use to author it in the first place? Also, have you tried mplayer or kaffeine?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    This is usually due to the DVD authoring software you used not generating a DVD to standard. What software did you use to author it in the first place? Also, have you tried mplayer or kaffeine?
    I don't remember which software I used to create the DVD, this was several years ago.
    Also, I get a could not open media source error from Kaffeine and plain old bubkis from mplayer.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I have sometimes had good results in such cases by opening the disc as a data device, copying the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories to a hard drive sub-directory, and telling kaffeine to play the directory I placed them in. If that works, you can try using k3b to create an ISO image which can subsequently be reburned to a DVD-R or DVD+R. If there are problems with the VIDEO_TS data files, k3b will tell you when you try to create the ISO image.

try vlc

I think the VLC is good it works better with the menu's thats wat ive found anyway, give vlc a try.

Quote Originally Posted by lamby118 View Post
    I think the VLC is good it works better with the menu's thats wat ive found anyway, give vlc a try.
    But don't try to start VLC from the disc icon. Instead, start VLC and open the disc from the Media menu. With marginal DVDs, this seems to work better, for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    But don't try to start VLC from the disc icon. Instead, start VLC and open the disc from the Media menu. With marginal DVDs, this seems to work better, for me at least.
    Yeah, that worked. I opened it without the DVD menus.
    So, what's wrong with Xine?

Quote Originally Posted by Max2009 View Post
    Yeah, that worked. I opened it without the DVD menus.
    So, what's wrong with Xine?
    Can you spell, work-in-progress? Xine is the back-end for a lot of media players in linux including mplayer, kaffeine, totem, etc. For most stuff that you have codecs installed it works quite well. VLC seems to have gone the extra yard to deal with odd stuff. As an example, I have some Mastroika videos (.mkv) that work just fine with VLC, but don't work at all with xine-based players. Yet I have many others that work just fine with xine players. Go figure. Even Windows Media Player cannot deal with all formats. When all else fails, I can usually transcode a video to a supported format with ffmpeg and then view it with just about anything.

Back when I was using Windows (when I was still a sinner) I only used wmp for audio. For video I used the vlc, because it was so much simpler than trying to look for codecs (and wmp didn't buffer as nicely as vlc does).
    Anyway, problem solved, thank you everybody.