Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a whole bunch of mp4 files that wont play on my ps3. Is there any program i can use to convert them to any other format?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Good app to convert mp4 to other format

I have a whole bunch of mp4 files that wont play on my ps3. Is there any program i can use to convert them to any other format?

You could check out audio-convert-mod or audio-convert. If you're handy with the command line you can use transcode or mencoder yourself to set up a batch conversion.

There are plenty of small tools available for this, some better than others. I'd have a look in your distro's repository and you should find at least a few.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Use ffmpeg. It will convert just about any audio/video format to any other, including such things as modifying the aspect ratios, fps, size, etc. A truely awesome tool, IMO. However, it is strictly a command line tool - no gui for it that I am aware of, though a gui wrapper would be a great project to make it much more usable for the wider community.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Got ffmpeg and it seems to be work fine but one pretty simple problem. It asks me to specify the file I want to convert. For some reason when I try to cd to the folder where the files are it says the folder is not even there. I did a ls -l on my videos folder and the read write symbols for the folder im trying to access look like this: drwx----. Do i need set the folder to allow me to access it or something? Would sudo work here?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The folder is read+write+execute for the owner only. Permissions on folders is such that execute allows you to travers the folder and substructure to access files in it. So, as root or the owner of the folder you need to at least set read+execute permissions for group and other if you are not the owner.
    Code:
    chmod go+rx dirname
    You still won't be able to write data to the directory without write permissions, but you can copy the files to someplace that you have write permission for.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

As it turns out I got it working by simply right clicking on the folder in the GUI and selecting "Open in Terminal".

:P