Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, besides my free software web project i am an electronic music producer When i was on windows i used (and am currently still forced to use) Fruityloops (or FL ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Music production on linux mdk 10

Well, besides my free software web project i am an electronic music producer

When i was on windows i used (and am currently still forced to use) Fruityloops (or FL Studio), but now when i completely switched to the free OS of my dreams i'd love to be able to do music production in linux.

So, i want some good music production programs such, actually, i would like a software package (comparable to FL Studio) that has a sequencer, mixer and maybe sampler with available synth, sound generators and plug-in modules.

I already tried to download and install some, like rosengarden, fluidsynth etc, but i never manage to complete the installation even when doing it all with RPM's which is pretty straightforward, but the problem is that it always asks for an additional library (dependacies).
    When i get that library it asks for another one, when i get the another it again asks for another one.. i feel like it could go forever like this so if it's anyhow possible to get one RPM with ALL libs needed already inthere it would be great.

Any suggestions?

Thank you
    Daniel

Linux Engineer
    If you're using rpm packages and installing using the urpmi package manager then dependencies shouldn't be a problem.

AFAIK, using a stock kernel in linux for audio work has it's problems. All to do with latency apparently. How much of a problem that may be with what you want to do I don't know.

Useful link here http://linux-sound.org/

and here http://www.linuxdj.com/audio/quality/

You may be interested in dynebolic, which is a live cd configured for audio/visual tinkering. http://www.dynebolic.org/
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    Thank you Chris for the good info.

I do use urpmi, it's actually the default package manager in Mandrake 10, but it just seems that rpms i am getting don't have everything needed, there's always some libs missing.

However, i'm going to postpone this search for now as i have other matters to do (setting up my local server and constant work on my site etc..)

Thanks
    Daniel

Audacity. runs in win, lin, and mac. it's kool and free! w00t.

Just Joined!
    Yes... i worked with Audacity on windows..

I am looking for sequencers/synths specifically here, something like FL Studio

Thanks
    Daniel

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Libervisco
    Yes... i worked with Audacity on windows..

I am looking for sequencers/synths specifically here, something like FL Studio

Thanks
    Daniel
    I'm using FLS too. Today there's no alternatives to windows if you are making music. Maybe in a year we can use VST on linux.

Just Joined!
    Well, gruberman.. i agree that it is till hard or amybe impossible to find an app as good as something like FLS, but i am a kind of guy who is willing to sacrifice some of it's ease of use and superiority for the sake of using free as in freedom software. I will still use FLS, but mainly because my coproducer does so that our joint productions stay compatible. It would be as unethical to turn my back on him or force him to switch to as it may be to use proprietary software while you have an alternative so this is a compromise i think is best.. i'll produce my independant tracks on linux and joint tracks on FL.

I found some interesting linux music production tools such as rosengarden (they say it's closest to cubase on linux), wired (new and very promising, probably next generation system) and some other which i am not yet considering. I'll probably installed those two mentioned from source and tried them. I am optimistic.

And yeah.. i finally mastered installing from source so i don't have to mess with rpms anymore

Thanks
    Daniel