Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, Debian 5.0 Totem Movie Player 2.22.2 (Movie Player using GStreamer 0.10.19 and GNOME) Please advise how to play .ram file. TIA B.R. satimis...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Totem Movie Player can't play .RAM file

Hi folks,

Debian 5.0
    Totem Movie Player 2.22.2
    (Movie Player using GStreamer 0.10.19 and GNOME)

Please advise how to play .ram file. TIA

B.R.
    satimis

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I think that .ram files are basically a list of .rm files to play in sequence - at least they used to be. I've had trouble getting Linux media players to interpret them. Since they are (or should be) text files, you can view them with a text editor and then play the .rm files in sequence. Sometimes, content might be a streaming URL which can be played otherwise. Note that there is a realplayer application available for Linux, which does handle .ram files.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I think that .ram files are basically a list of .rm files to play in sequence - at least they used to be. I've had trouble getting Linux media players to interpret them. Since they are (or should be) text files, you can view them with a text editor and then play the .rm files in sequence. Sometimes, content might be a streaming URL which can be played otherwise. Note that there is a realplayer application available for Linux, which does handle .ram files.
    Hi Rubberman,

Thanks for your advice.

GStreamer needs following packages to play .RAM file;
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
    gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
    w32codecs

gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly already installed as default. After installing the other 2 packages Totem now can play .RAM files

B.R.
    satimis

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Good to know, about the bad+ugly gstreamer plugins. I only have the "good" plugins...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!