Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i want to play call of duty on my linux machine. it is running fedora .... not sure what core... think it is core 1 ...... Can I install using ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Call Of Duty.... Dang i am dumb

i want to play call of duty on my linux machine. it is running fedora .... not sure what core... think it is core 1 ......

Can I install using my Call Of Duty set that i bought at wal-mart... it is windows based.

If so, HOW?

"If linux is not good for anything else it is good for making me feel stupid.."

Kester

One way to tell what version of FC you're running is to pop up a console and type uname -a. If it says something like "Linux 2.4.xxxx" you're using Core 1. If it says "Linux 2.6.xxxx" you're using Core 2.

As for running MS Windows games in Linux, there are ways, but they're not guaranteed to work. One is with a free project called WINE, but personally all I've ever gotten running successfully with that is Solitaire and StarCraft.

http://www.winehq.org

Another is Transgaming's Cedega, which is supposed to be able to run lots of high-profile MS Windows games. They have a list on their site. There's a free version but you have to compile it yourself and it doesn't handle copy-protected CDs. The paid version is $5/month with a minimum 3 month payment, so you're looking at $15 all together. Just depends on what it's worth to you to have the chance at running MS Windows games in Linux. It's not guaranteed to work, but some people have had great success with it.

http://www.transgaming.com
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    As for running MS Windows games in Linux, there are ways, but they're not guaranteed to work.
    Do you know if there is a copy of Call of Duty for linux Fedora, or if there is a way that i can find out?

Thankyou for the help.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by kester
    Do you know if there is a copy of Call of Duty for linux Fedora, or if there is a way that i can find out?

Thankyou for the help.
    No, as far as I know there is no native Linux port for Call of Duty.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    One way to tell what version of FC you're running is to pop up a console and type uname -a. If it says something like "Linux 2.4.xxxx" you're using Core 1. If it says "Linux 2.6.xxxx" you're using Core 2.
    Thank you very much for the info. According to this i am running Core 1. Do you know if i can update to Core 2 without reinstalling. I am used to windows... they either make a SP or a new version of Windows....

I *believe* you can update to FC2 using yum or RHN, but I'm going to defer to someone with more Fedora experience on that one. I usually update via CDs.

UPDATE: Someone on another forum pointed me to this site, which you might be interested in visiting:

http://liflg.sourceforge.net/?page=cat&catid=7

Apparently there is a Linux installer for Call of Duty. I've never tried it so I can't say whether or not it works, but it's something.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Great link TechieMoe!!!!!!!!!!

Just Joined!
    There was a linux installer for Call Of Duty there.... Thank you verymuch...

I got the installer to run through fine, but is Fedora Core 1 a Wine(x) or Cedega?

"Wine(X)/Cedega not in your PATH" that is the exact error i am getting

Thanks again
    Kester

Just Joined!
    well first of all this was dumb of me cuz this forum already talked about that.... duh...

Quote Originally Posted by kester
    There was a linux installer for Call Of Duty there.... Thank you verymuch...

I got the installer to run through fine, but is Fedora Core 1 a Wine(x) or Cedega?

"Wine(X)/Cedega not in your PATH" that is the exact error i am getting

Thanks again
    Kester
    but now.... i am getting a error saying that my video card either doesn't have the latest drivers or that it doesn't support the game.... i will look on the web myself for a newer driver, but if any of you guys have a site that has one on it i would be very happy to have that link. My vid. card is just an onboard intel card on a gateway.

i don't think that my card will have problems running the game. It runs it in windows just fine.

Thanks all
    Kester

Just Joined!
    well i found the driver i need, i think. it is a rpm, but it won't let me run it ....says that i don't have permissions to run it... i have tried: running it logged as root , running it through the "fail safe terminal" (that didn't work... maybe because i have no idea what i am doing with it) and i also tried changing the permissions in the properties of the file.... still doesn't work...

Kester

and again i refer to my first saying
    "if linux isn't good for anything else, it is good for making me feel stupid"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast