Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Throughout my history with Linux, there has always been one program I install without fail to try out any new Linux distribution: Quake 3 for Linux by Loki. The issue ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Id Games and AC97 integrated audio

Throughout my history with Linux, there has always been one program I install without fail to try out any new Linux distribution: Quake 3 for Linux by Loki. The issue I've always run into with any game using an Id engine (not including Doom ports) is that I get no sound with onboard AC97 (Intel 810 chipsets) sound cards. This is true for Quake 3, Enemy Territory, and more recently Doom 3. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, how did you fix it? (Before you ask, I long ago bought a C-Media based sound card that works just fine; I'm just curious why onboard AC97 seems to have fits)
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    i810 here.

No audio probs on rh, slack, debian, gentoo, jds, suse.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    i810 here.

No audio probs on rh, slack, debian, gentoo, jds, suse.
    Are you saying no audio problems in the *distros* or no audio problems with Quake 3, ET, or Doom 3? I've had no trouble at all with Intel 810e on any Linux distribution, it's only when trying to run these games (and the original Unreal Tournament if I remember correctly) that I get no sound.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    ET runs fine, Heavy Gear II runs fine, until it crashes after the first round. My box isn't up to Doom/Quake 3. Unreal I've run under wine with no probs.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around this. I've had this same issue across the board on many computers and dozens upon dozens of Linux distributions, yet you say ET works fine on your system? What's been wrong with my last 3 PCs?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I've used rh9, fc2, fc3, mandrake 9.1, mandrake 10, slackware 10, and suse 9.2 and have installed quake 3 on all of them and my sound has worked in game on all (Intel 810, curse hp). Only recently did I put my aureal card back in (solely because of my new 5.1 speakers), because no distros seemed to include the drivers for it until I tried FC and Mandrake 10, and I was too much of a newb to install them myself .

Only problem I could think of is another hardware component interfering with the onboard sound somehow.

Just Joined!

Re: AC97 integrated audio

I'm running Quake II and Doom Legacy on Xandros 2.0. Funny thing is, my problem is the reverse; I've got no problems with game sound under AC97 Intel 810 built into an Asus MEW-AM motherboard (HP OEM thing), but I lack game sound on another board which has a C-Media CMI8738 built-in. Go fish.

Quote Originally Posted by iXmIo
    Only problem I could think of is another hardware component interfering with the onboard sound somehow.
    I've considered this, but if that were the case I shouldn't be getting sounds AT ALL. I'm getting sound out of the device for everything *except* the Id Software games. UT2003/2004 runs, along with Neverwinter Nights and all my KDE sounds. I even tried killing artsd and running it from Blackbox and the same thing happened. Sound is the last area of Linux that still is hit and miss IMHO.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    It could be your graphics card's opengl drivers...I don't know why that would be, but opengl is used in most 3d accelerated games and there could be a conflict there.

Any way you look at it, it's got to be some kind of a conflict .

Quote Originally Posted by iXmIo
    It could be your graphics card's opengl drivers...I don't know why that would be, but opengl is used in most 3d accelerated games and there could be a conflict there.

Any way you look at it, it's got to be some kind of a conflict .

What kind of graphics card do you use?
    As mentioned in my signature, I have an Nvidia Geforce 6800. This issue has also cropped up with an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro, a Geforce 4 ti 4200, a Geforce 2 MX and a 3dfx Voodoo 4. (Yes, I've had this problem for a long time.) I agree that it sounds like some sort of conflict, but I'm at a loss as to just *what* conflict would carry over among several computers and Linux distros.

If it were an OpenGL problem, wouldn't that affect other games though? I appreciate your taking the time to try and figure this out, BTW.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast