Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm new to Linux and running Fedora 10. I'm trying to watch DVDs on Totem Movie Player 2.24.3, but when I put the disc in, Totem tells me I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

totem movie player needs "DVD source" plug-in?

Hi,

I'm new to Linux and running Fedora 10. I'm trying to watch DVDs on Totem Movie Player 2.24.3, but when I put the disc in, Totem tells me I need a "DVD source" plug-in. It asked me if I wanted to search for the plug-in, and I said yes, but there was some sort of error installing it once it found the plug-in.

Is there somewhere specific I can find this plug-in? Or is there something else I need to be doing?

Thanks in advance!

You can download the DVD decryption package from videolan.org or you can have it automatically installed for you.

To install it automatically, open a terminal like gnome-terminal and run the following command. Enter your password when prompted and remember it won't show you anything as you type your password.
    Code:
    sudo sh /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/examples/install-css.sh
    That will download and install the package for you.

If you'd rather install it manually you can get it here.

Just Joined!
    thanks for your response, bigtomrodney.

the link you gave me (videolan.org) takes me to the website for VLC media player. i've used VLC before, but would the DVD decryption package work with totem? or do you suggest i simply download VLC instead?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    VLC is very good, but I'm of the opinion that you should get the plugin to allow all applications to function.

There should be an rpm package for libdvdcss there in that download directory. You can download and install that to get CSS support for DVDs. Totem should then work assuming all other codecs are present (I believe they should be). Let me know how you get on.

Quote Originally Posted by bronte View Post
    thanks for your response, bigtomrodney.

the link you gave me (videolan.org) takes me to the website for VLC media player. i've used VLC before, but would the DVD decryption package work with totem? or do you suggest i simply download VLC instead?
    libdvdcss is part of the VideoLAN project, but pretty much all video players in linux are able to utilize it to descramble CSS encrypted DVDs.