Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I would like to make a MP3-entertainment system. I'll explain what I mean by summing up a couple of requirements I want. - I want to have a really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Making a MP3-entertainment system

Hello,

I would like to make a MP3-entertainment system. I'll explain what I mean by summing up a couple of requirements I want.

- I want to have a really fast booting distro, which immediatly starts my MP3-library and MP3-player.
    All other applications and such should be invisible. So at start up only the MP3-player and music library should on screen.
    (i'm planning on buying a relatively small LCD screen for this system (<12")

- I don't really need other applications for this system

- It should be able to rip music CDs to the MP3-library.

Is there maybe such a distro already available? Or something familiar or something thats easy to adapt to what I want?

I have a little experience with ubuntu linux.

Linux User
    You could try the minimal Ubuntu https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD and then install rhythmbox or whichever player you want to use. Then it is just a matter of writing a bash script to start the player as soon as it finishes booting.
    Last edited by Hal343; 08-26-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: spelling
    Registered Linux User #420832

Quote Originally Posted by Hal343 View Post
    You could try the minimal Ubuntu https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD and then install rhythmbox or whichever player you want to use. Then it is just a matter of writing a bash script to start the player as soon as it finishes booting.
    You should be able to just put the command to start it in /etc/rc.local, and it should just start on boot automatically
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close