Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am building a server closet and central stereo system form my house. Speakers in every room. I want a media center system that can play the music to the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Web Based Media Center

I am building a server closet and central stereo system form my house. Speakers in every room. I want a media center system that can play the music to the speakers. Here is my requirements:

-Must be able to have no maintenance.
    -Must be able to change tracks, volume, etc, through a web based client ( for iPhone, Blackberry, etc control through WiFi)

-Would like if it can stream video over the gigabit LAN in my house, but this isnt nessacary

-Can automatically assimilate new tracks when they are uploaded to the media center through an FTP server on the MEdia Center.

Just Joined!
    ::BUMP::

Anyone have any suggestions?

Linux Newbie
    I thought about trying to make some sort of interactive website to do this (PHP Based). The Problem I encountered was trying to get PHP to run system commands, such as mplayer file1.mp3.... i too would be interested in a solution to this

Cheers
    Linux is the OS of tomorrow, Here today!!

Just Joined!
    It could definately be done, but I would think perl would be your best bet. You could also use Python but either way you will need to learn the basics of CGI but you seem dedicated to this project so I think you can accomplish it.

Just Joined!
    Moovida? Quite nice IMHO

Check out Subsonic. Kind of like a Youtube for your music.
    Linux User #453176