Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i was able to install ut2004 without problems until i ran it. i works fine when useing software rendering (but has to be under 640x480) but when i select opengl ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

troubles with ut2004 and openGL

i was able to install ut2004 without problems until i ran it.

i works fine when useing software rendering (but has to be under 640x480)

but when i select opengl it displays a whole bunch of polygons out of place.
    (while it is kinda cool to see a bunch a headless men running across an invisible bridge i would rather have it normal)

i downloaded and install the patch but it didn't change anything.

i am using mdk 10.0 and an ATI 9200 card (on linux's fglrx drivers NOT ati's (i have had a BAD history with those drivers which required major effort to fix (not mentioning headaches) so i would be hesitate to try loading them again)

but if i have just missed something simple (or not so simple) i would love to get this game working for me.

waiting for a response.

what does the command fglrx return? (fps) should be in the 2000 range at the lowest, otherwise you will need some form of driver.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    it returns:

bash: fglrx: command not found

hehe

but i can play armageTron at 400 fps if that answers your question

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    update i now use FC3 which has the drivers for my card. I can now play ut2004 with open gl rendering (and see the heads).

but now i have a different problem. when ever i play on a large map or with a lot of objects to track it slows down to a grinding halt (i looked at the case and see the hd led glowing full force) i belive that means that the game needs more ram (video or system i am not quick sure) but i shouldn't have this problem because i have 128m video and 512m system (plus it runs fine for win xp).

can anyone tell me whats going on? or better yet how to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by robotics56a
    but now i have a different problem. when ever i play on a large map or with a lot of objects to track it slows down to a grinding halt (i looked at the case and see the hd led glowing full force)
    This AFAIK is due to the combination of your 9200 (which is an okay card but not exactly a powerhouse, particularly for a game like UT2k4) and shoddy fglrx drivers. I had this trouble even with a Radeon 9800 Pro in Linux.

If you haven't yet considered it, I'd recommend looking into a replacement Nvidia card if at all possible. Their drivers are quite good for both Linux and MS Windows, and UT2003/2004 plays much better on them.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    yeah i've know that for a while. you won't see me wasting any more money on ati. but it might be a while before i buy a nivida because im short on cash (not a big problem) and i don't have time to play games very much (bigger problem). anyway thanks for your advice.

Linux Newbie
    man i have bad luck.

well i have a new problem. (o by the way switched to mdk 10.1) when i try to run the installer it gives me this error:
    bash: ./linux-installer.sh: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied
    i belive that it should be simple to fix this but i have no idea where to look for an answer.
    can you help me out?

techiemoe, would that happen to be the same ati card that melted on you or was that one of the 7000 series.

if that wasnt you that posted about that thhen sorry about bothering you.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    techiemoe, would that happen to be the same ati card that melted on you or was that one of the 7000 series.
    Yes, the 9800 was the one that melted.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    update: i have installed ut 2004 (i needed to copy the installer to home folder and type sh before its name, this wasn't a problem in 10.0. o well) it also runs open gl without problems (10.1 powerpack has ati drivers with it)

i haven't had a ati melt on me, but i did have a joystick controller turn crispy (takeing the whole motherboard with it!) but i think your right that ati's are not the best cards to go with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast