Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have stored my CD-collection on my PC as FLAC-files. I want to stream the music to another computer which I have hooked up to my stereo equipment, and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Home music server - how to play FLAC

I have stored my CD-collection on my PC as FLAC-files. I want to stream the music to another computer which I have hooked up to my stereo equipment, and I want to keep the quality of the FLAC-format. I have tried to share my music collection by making it accessible through NFS, but Amarok on the client insists on populating my total collection every time I start up, and this takes about 40 minutes. My first question therefore is: Can I configure Amarok, or are there a plug-in, so that Amarok avoids this action? Or maybe another player?
    I have also looked into Sockso music server and it pretty much do what I want. The only thing is that it's default players does not understand FLAC. So my second question is: Is there a music player that can play the FLAC-format and be configured so that it understands a Sockso stream? Maybe a plug-in for Amarok?

Knut

Linux Newbie
    Hi knuno
    I only use FLAC for all my music and I have had a similar experience to yourself. I installed 'exaile'. It plays all my music and if you set Edit/Preferences/General/Library to 0 (Zero) under scan for new music every so many minutes it does not seem to bother you. I clean out all played music in the active window before I play something else.
    Hope this helps in some way. Cheers...
    Robert