Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello. pseudo newbie here... running jaunty 9.04... so i got a dvd rom installed and all the proper codecs and plugins installed... and dvd's still won't play... in both vlc ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

jaunty j - dvd won't play after codec/plug-ins installed

hello. pseudo newbie here... running jaunty 9.04...

so i got a dvd rom installed and all the proper codecs and plugins installed... and dvd's still won't play...

in both vlc and movie player what happens is the program goes to open the disc it flashes on the screen for a moment and then the program closes. same behavior with both programs. i went to check on my xorg file and it was blank...

vlc and movie player work fine for avi and xvid files... just not dvd's.

i also tried to use xbmc and while i got it to install ok... it wouldn't open saying something about 24 bit color depth and i have no idea how to change that...

thanks!

Are these commercial DVDs or any DVD? When you say you've installed all the codecs and plugins, can you be more specific about what you installed and how you installed it? Do you have libdvdcss2 installed?

Install mplayer if you haven't, put in a DVD and from the command line run
    Code:
    mplayer dvd://
    Post any error messages.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by reed9 View Post
    Are these commercial DVDs or any DVD? When you say you've installed all the codecs and plugins, can you be more specific about what you installed and how you installed it? Do you have libdvdcss2 installed?

Install mplayer if you haven't, put in a DVD and from the command line run
    Code:
    mplayer dvd://
    Post any error messages.
    discovered in the last few days the issue is bigger than i thought and a hardware issue not a software issue...

the error i get is this:

[????????] x11 video output error: X11 request 132.19 failed with error code 11:
    BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    X Error of failed request: BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)
    Major opcode of failed request: 132 (XVideo)
    Minor opcode of failed request: 19 ()
    Serial number of failed request: 81
    Current serial number in output stream: 82
    ghostofzuul is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

it's a known issue:

//bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/374258

it's my understanding that it's something that's a major problem with ati and intel chipsets... anyway... the linux box i was using was obsolete anyway so i upgraded and got a faster machine with a better video card so it's all good now.

thanks for your help!
    p.s. i've had better luck w/ vlc than mplayer over the years on both my linux boxes and on my macs...