Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I don't have an mp3 player. Instead I burn the podcast that I download to CD. I thought I was going crazy about some of the podcast being cut ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

burning podcast to cd problem

So I don't have an mp3 player. Instead I burn the podcast that I download to CD. I thought I was going crazy about some of the podcast being cut off, then I remembered how only 80 minutes can be burned to a 700MB CD. Well the crazy things is that the total of all the podcast on the cd is way over 80 minutes, so is this something I can overcome with a different burner or compression software, or am I just stuck with what I have. I am running ubuntu 9.04. Actually I burned the CD in windows using Itunes mp3 cd but whenever I try to burn the cd in ubuntu I keep getter the message about the cd being full with one 1hour podcast. Any advice would be great. thanks.

Not entirely sure what you're asking here? You can't put more information on a CD than the CD can hold. Most audio burning programs will indicate the space left on the disc as you add files to burn.

Just Joined!
    well I am trying to say that I have some pod cast which are only 120 MB each but they are almost 2 hours long each. Itunes lets me burn the podcast to disc but linux will not. Linux tells me that the files will not fit. I understand what you are saying about not being able to put more information on a CD than it could hold. I just wanted to see if there was a way to chop the podcast in half or have another software burn them to disk in linux. Thanks for your reply.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    There's a bunch of different burning programs in linux. I think Ubuntu uses Serpentine by default. Is that what you're using?

You can also use Brasero, which should already be installed. Or you can try gnomebaker, which should be in the repostories. A lot of folks swear by k3b, but it will pull in half of KDE, making it quite a large install for just needing a burning program.

Just Joined!
    k3b is pretty good. I didn't know about this program until now. Thaks for all of your help.