Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a test machine with a P3 1000Mhz Coppermine and 512M of PC133 RAM. Video card is an ATI All-in-Wonder Pro 9800, which is an R350 chipset. I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    htismaqe

[SOLVED] Facebook Flash games and Linux - anybody had GOOD performance?

I have a test machine with a P3 1000Mhz Coppermine and 512M of PC133 RAM. Video card is an ATI All-in-Wonder Pro 9800, which is an R350 chipset.

I have a 40GB HDD that has Windows XP SP3 and IE8 on it. Flash performance is pretty slow, but not unusable. I had a spare 20GB HDD, so I thought I would try and install Linux and see if I could make it better.

That was 3 weeks ago.

I've tried Debian Lenny, Ubuntu Jaunty and Intrepid, Linux Mint 7 Gloria, Linux Mint 7 XFCE, Linux Mint 5 XFCE, Fedora 11 Gnome, and Fedora 11 XFCE. I've gotten CPU utilization as low as 10% running Flash in Firefox with Facebook games. I've gotten it to where no swap file is even needed - everything will run in 350-400MB of RAM. Yet Flash performance is flat AWFUL. At best, it's half the quality of the experience in Windows, and at worst it's completely unusable.

I've tried every tweak on the net - disabling Pulseaudio, installing proprietary ATI drivers, Flash config files, etc. Nothing has worked. It's consistent across all distros I've tried.

So does anybody out there have similar PC specs (especially the ATI card) and have no issues with Flash? If so, what distro are you running?

PS - Flash in Windows now appears to be slower after experimenting with Linux. I'm unsure how this is even possible, considering the two OS's are on separate HDD's that were never connected to the IDE bus at the same time.

That is just a coincidence, nothing you do in linux will affect windows. Second, I have a laptop that is only 1.6ghz processor and when I watch flash videos my CPU is fully used and I can't do anything else, so I can understand why its so poor for you. My guess is the linux flash isn't optimized that well for performance like the windows one would be, since that is a much higher user base, we're lucky as it is that adobe releases any flash for us.

htismaqe
    Quote Originally Posted by coopstah13 View Post
    That is just a coincidence, nothing you do in linux will affect windows. Second, I have a laptop that is only 1.6ghz processor and when I watch flash videos my CPU is fully used and I can't do anything else, so I can understand why its so poor for you. My guess is the linux flash isn't optimized that well for performance like the windows one would be, since that is a much higher user base, we're lucky as it is that adobe releases any flash for us.
    Yeah, I realize it's a coincidence. Especially since I'm not dual-booting. Windows and Linux are on two separate hard drives and they've NEVER been connected to IDE at the same time, so any type of "contamination" isn't possible.

As for CPU utilization:

1) With a 1.6Ghz processor, there is NO REASON you should be pegging the CPU in Linux. If there's one thing I've learned over the last 3 weeks, it's that. If you're interested in fixing that, let me know - I've got a half dozen tweaks you could try.

2) If you noticed in the thread starter, I've got CPU utilization BELOW 20%, even with Firefox and Flash running. Memory utilization peaks at around 400MB with no swap ever being used. So my problem isn't like yours at all.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    htismaqe
    This appears to be a BROWSER issue, first and foremost.

Secondarily, I would imagine that it's highly-influenced by distro as well. For example, with Linux Mint 7 XFCE no browser worked well. Some were better than others, and some were completely unusable. But none could be said to be "above average".

In an effort to eliminate as many variables as possible (ie. Compiz, SELinux, etc.) I ended up loading Xubuntu 9.04 and testing browsers. In the end, I not only found a solution, but my daughter is HAPPY.

Here are my results. If anybody wants to know install instructions or questions about how exactly I did things, just send me a PM.

Test PC CPU: P3, 1Ghz Pentium 3 "Coppermine"
    Test PC RAM: 512MB PC133
    Test PC Video: ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro with 128MB RAM (R350 chipset)
    Test OS: Xubuntu 9.04 with NO tweaks (default audio system, default video driver, etc.)

Downloaded latest version of libflashplayer.so and installed to /usr/lib/flashplayer/ so that every browser would be using the same plugin.

I also installed WINE 1.1.31 and both Flash and Flash-ActiveX for sake of comparison.

1. I instantly eliminated WINE. I preferred a native solution anyway, and one look at the performance was enough to convince me. IE6 (from Winetricks) was completely unusable, even without Flash. It took almost 40 seconds just to load the Youtube homepage and trying to watch a video was pointless. I also tried Firefox from both Winetricks and from the Mozilla website. They were better loading pages, but Flash videos on Youtube were still awful.

2. Next, Firefox (latest from Ubuntu repos). Browsing was good, Flash was better. Still stuttering with Youtube. Facebook games ranged from poor to unplayable, as expected.

3. Firefox from mozilla.org. Same as #2. I saw no difference between FF 3.0.x and FF 3.5.x.

4. After much Googling, I found people having problem with a Flash game on Facebook called "Yoville". The solution that worked best for them was Seamonkey. I installed Seamonkey from their website to get the latest version 1.1.8 and pointed it to libflashplayer.so. Website browsing was actually a bit slower than Firefox. But it was the first time I had seen a Youtube video play with NO stuttering. Seamonkey was indeed much better than Firefox, at least for Flash. However, Facebook games still left something to be desired. Some of them were MUCH faster, and some of them were only marginally faster. At the very least, NONE of them were unplayable. I could have stopped there and probably had a happy kid, but it's an obsession now.

5. I downloaded Chromium/Google Chrome. I pointed it at my "community" flash lib and tried it. AWFUL. Easily on par with WINE performance and worse than every native install I had tried so far. I didn't expect that, but it is still being developed, so who knows.

6. 6) After reading tons of KDE and Gnome users talk about the speed of Konqueror and Epiphany respectively, I decided to try Midori since it's the "stock" XFCE browser. I pointed it again at the same shared flash lib and fired it up. It rendered the Youtube homepage the fastest of any browser I had tried to that point. I fired up a video and it was PERFECT. No stuttering, no lag. So I had my daughter try Facebook Pet Society (by far the worst-performing game she plays). She couldn't break away long enough to tell me that it was great! There were some minor, minor stuttering issues with video detail at the highest setting, but that was expected considering the specs of the hardware. But it was visibly better than any of the other browsers, even Seamonkey.

And more importantly, it's a dramatic improvement over XP SP3 with IE. My 8-year-old daughter is now a Linux convert.