Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Go here to sign the World of Warcraft on Linux petition: http://www.blizzpub.net/petition/ Why should you, as a Linux gamer sign it? This is why: quote:MEDIEVALDRAGON Linux Newbie Linux Newbie Joined: ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sign the World of Warcraft on Linux petition!

Go here to sign the World of Warcraft on Linux petition: http://www.blizzpub.net/petition/
    Why should you, as a Linux gamer sign it? This is why:

quote:MEDIEVALDRAGON
    Linux Newbie
    Linux Newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:47 pm Post subject: World of Warcraft Linux petition to Blizzard Reply with quote
    There is a petition online that is aiming to gather 20,000 Linux users willing to buy World of Warcraft and play for full year with a monthly subscription.

The petition is for Blizzard and VUGames to make a Mac OS X-to-Linux port of World of Warcraft. Mac OS X is unix-based which means it is viable to create a Linux-native version of the game as a PC/Mac/Linux hybrid.

Sam Lantinga, ex Loki Games employee who used to port mac games to Linux, and better known as the author of the SDL api is Software Engineer of World of Warcraft. We heard that the engineer of Quake and Doom is also an employee of World of Warcraft. Quake and Doom have a Linux port. Furthermore, a Blizzard Employee just said in their forums at Battle.net that World of Warcraft Server has a Dual-processor and runs on .... Linux OS ^_^

All we need is to gather 20,000 Linux users before we get to send the petition officially. With high numbers is the strength. The port could be viable if there is enough customers. The real reason of the petition, though is that World of Warcraft is seen to be the #1 MMORPG to dethrone Everquest and StarWars Galaxies. Themis Group announced the MMORPG industry would earn $4.3 billion dollars by 2008. The MMORPG at the top of the list supplied was ... World of Warcraft.

The Linux needs this powerful MMORPG as the herald to demonstrate that the Linux platform can be a gaming platform. This way other game companies will see through World of Warcraft that there is a wide range of Linux players. The game industry will thereafter start porting games to Linux as a Marketing target, which will follow with development of new technology and support from hardware companies.

NVidia already supports Linux with a driver. Many other companies will follow. You can sign the petition Here

Make sure it is a real email. We will be emailing back to confirm it is real. Fake emails will disqualify the votes since we need to make sure Blizzard can confirmate each petition is real.

Feel free to spread around anywhere you go about this petition. The goal is to find 20,000 Linux users. Help us help the Linux community.

So sign the Petition!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for sharing that, I'd been wondering if there was any organized effort to let Blizzard know there's lots of us who'd prefer to run World of Warcraft in Linux. Lo and behold looking for something else I came across your post. I don't like the game enough to dualboot Windows but I'd definately pay for a year subscription to have a game of that quality available without having to make any changes to my setup Thanks!

very important petition here since it will bring the first blizzard game to be native to linux. unfortunatly, as of this writing there are a little under 7500 people sighned up for this. it will be a long time before we see this 20,000 number that is wanted. so c'mon people you know you want to.
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Signed.

This would be a very big step for Linux gaming. I'm sure that something like this going through will get the attention of other game devs as well as ATI (to make better Linux drivers ).

I would never buy a subscription to a game for a year ahead of time, though. Even if I play the game first (free month or whatnot), I'm not going to pay in advance for a year as many things can happen in that year to keep you from playing...
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

sticky it. c'mon, you know you want to

ya, who knows what could happen in that time. but i guess if thats what it take sthen thats what it takes
    i personaly get bored of games too fast to subscribe for a whole year since i have this terrible habbit of playing nonstop until i get burnt out. i'll just have to take it slow with this one. mabyei ill take up programming allong with it to give me something producive to do so i can give back to the community that was so kind to me! now just to learn how to learn programming
    nVidia G-Force 6600GT (bfg) pci-e: amd 64 2000+ (939): 1024 corsair ram: 2X 80gb seagate harddisk SATA: plextor cd/dvd-read/write cdrom SATA

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    sticky it. c'mon, you know you want to

maybe i'll take up programming along with it to give me something productive to do so i can give back to the community that was so kind to me! now just to learn how to learn programming
    Most Linux users I know, myself included, love tinkering. So I could easily see a disproportionate number of us making use of the UI API at www.wowwiki.com Who wouldn't want a player base with a large chunk of volunteer coders, scripters and zealots?

well that would be kinda pregiduce now wouldent it :P :P

Just Joined!
    Done and done. Hope this happens soon.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by benjamin20
    very important petition here since it will bring the first blizzard game to be native to linux
    Hey you're right, I didn't know that. I think part of the success for other games like A Tale in the Desert is that they have native Linux support. I remember reading this article that said "The (ATITD) development team is comprised of two individuals in addition to five part-time artists, hardly the massive undertaking of staff usually associated with the bigger budget MMORPG's out in the market currently."

I can't understand why Blizzard doesn't make it. The above makes me think it wouldn't cost all that much. We Linux users obviously play games . And once the engine is ported they can make their next game on the same engine Linux native right from launch because it's already ported.

I think with enough people asking we might see it at the same time as the first expansion. That would rock!

ok 8747 signature..... thats like, not even half of what we need. im shure that this forum allone propbobly wouldnt generate a large amount of signature since most people here are looking for help but there must be some way we can get this more public.

anyone have a cauple million that they wouldnt mind donating for national T.V. comercials? anyone?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast