Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey folks, I finally sold my soul and bought an ipod (my discman broke, and I miss having portable music) However, I can't get it to work with my system. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

3rd Ge. ipod shuffle

Hey folks,
    I finally sold my soul and bought an ipod (my discman broke, and I miss having portable music)
    However, I can't get it to work with my system. I'm using xubuntu with Gnome, and the version is Jaunty. First I tried Rhythmbox, which loads it fine, but I can't put any files on the ipod. When I do a right-click and "new playlist" in the ipod, Rhythmbox closes.
    Next, I tried gtkpod, which doesn't have support for my ipod (3rd Gen Shuffle, 4GB, black), so no help there.
    Banshee did the same thing as Rhythmbox (wouldn't let me put anything on it), and iTunes doesn't work with Wine.
    I tried running Windows with VBOX, but of course I needed an actual install disc, which I don't have.
    I connected it to a friend's computer (running Vista), formatted it and added music through that, but even after it was formatted, I couldn't get Rhythmbox to work with it.
    I feel like I need to re-format it for Linux (?) but I don't know how.

I also considered running a Windows emulator, but don't know of any good ones (suggestions?)

So basically, I'm out of ideas. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Try Amarok, it has good media device support....including most Ipods. As for the emulator, try wine, if you want to use it for playing games, you'll probably be better off with a dual boot environment.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Amarok doesn't seem to be working. I follow the steps at ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-411206.html, but still nothing
    iTunes doesn't work with Wine (I already tried it), so no help there.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by danroth View Post
    Amarok doesn't seem to be working. I follow the steps at ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-411206.html, but still nothing
    iTunes doesn't work with Wine (I already tried it), so no help there.
    What part doesn't seem to be working? Amarok itself or just the detecting your Ipod perhaps something else is not working right?

Is there an option on the Ipod to change system settings? Can you set it as an MTP device?

Plug the Ipod in and issue this command
    Code:
    mtp-detect
    Any output?
    EDIT: Did you try the commands list on the link you posted? Did you have any luck or errors with any of them?
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 11-07-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: See EDIT:
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I forget now what it was exactly saying, but it wouldn't let me initialize the ipod.

I upgraded to Karmic, and now when I open Amarok it gives me a prompt if I want to initialize. It gives me a list of different models, but the one I have is not an option.

I'll try that command when I get home this evening