Find the answer to your Linux question:
Running Fedora 11 on a i845e/P4 northwood machine with GF6800 and Audigy2 sound card. Every once in a while after rebooting a pop up will tell me that audio hardware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question [SOLVED] Audigy2 and Pulse audio pop up about 'devices removed from the system'

Running Fedora 11 on a i845e/P4 northwood machine with GF6800 and Audigy2 sound card.

Every once in a while after rebooting a pop up will tell me that audio hardware was removed from the system, and it's referring to Audigy2 side speakers. There is an option to forget about those devices permanently.

What I don't understand is, why was that device detected in the 1st place and why the system thinks it was removed, even though there was no change to hardware on the box or to kernel and software.

I am just using the machine to read web, emails and to place Skype calls.

Some updates were installed, but it was never a coincidence that a pop-up would come after a reboot after updates were installed. It is absolutely random. I reboot this machine often, as I am trying to compile a custom kernel, which is not working so I am constantly falling back onto the kernel which came with the very 1st update after install, which is 2.6.30.9-96-fc11.i686.PAE

It is also weird that before I reinstalled Fedora onto the new hdd I just bought, I ran it for a while in exactly same configuration, but back then Skype allowed me to select among Pulse audio and several physical interfaces in its Audio options tab. Now I only have Pulse audio there. It still works, just looks different and it took me a long while to find proper mixer channel set up to make Pulse audio capture from the microphone during the Skype calls.

It's kind of important to have Skype working, so I would like to understand how to properly set up multimedia on this box if god forbid I have to reinstall Fedora again.

Sorry for a long post
    Thx!

I had the similar issues on Mandriva 2010. I have the same audio card. I've encountered such issues when I've tried to use 3D desktop. It came up randomly, but mostly at the cases when I turned 3D effects on/off. It is possibly related to the Pulse Audio. Do you have an option to switch off PA? Try that!
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by minthaka View Post
    I had the similar issues on Mandriva 2010. I have the same audio card. I've encountered such issues when I've tried to use 3D desktop. It came up randomly, but mostly at the cases when I turned 3D effects on/off. It is possibly related to the Pulse Audio. Do you have an option to switch off PA? Try that!
    Skype requires PA, at least that's what it says on the d/l web page.
    At the same time when I had the option to switch input and output to hardware interfaces, it worked fine too.

No, it doesn't requires it at all. Actually, nothing requires it, so it can be safely removed. I don't know whether there's an option in Fedora to kill it, or you have to remove it manually. Search for the solutions.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

Just Joined!
    Make sure all your audio is configured properly, i.e., configure MP3 support in Exaile, with that you know that no stone is being left unturned.

Required rpms:
    gstreamer-plugins-bad
    gstreamer-plugins-bad-extras
    gstreamer-plugins-ugly

But before these have to be installed:
    a52dec
    a52dec-devel
    amrnb
    lame-libs
    libid3tag
    libmad
    libsidplay
    mpeg2dec

There are other dependencies which you might lack but don't install libmp3lame0, if you already have it uninstall it with Kyum. Install Skype through an rpm, when I was using FC7 I found an rpm package for FC4 which worked perfectly. I actually had a problem with the microphone, but it was not a PC mic and was very old.

Just Joined!
    Right now Skype is working after I uninstalled Pulse audio.
    Removing PA fixed the capture in a number of programs, but one: Audacity 1.3.9 that I use only records about 0.4s and stops. This is a known problem that does not really have a comprehensive solution.