Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Matrox g450 in an older machine running Fedora 5. What I want to be able to do is play video and output it to the second head ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dualhead for tv-out

I have a Matrox g450 in an older machine running Fedora 5. What I want to be able to do is play video and output it to the second head which will be used for TV output. I would like to do this from a console or terminal window, meaning not in a GUI environment. I'm not sure how to go about this or whether it is even possible, but if anyone can shed some light on it I'd appreciate it.

In case it's not clear, here's the scoop. I have this old machine in my basement managing NAT for my cable modem connection as well as providing many services for my LAN. It happens to have the dual head card in it which supports TV output. I was hoping to be able to route video output to the composite output and then use a modulator to place it on an empty channel for distribution throughout my house. The goal is to be able to start video from an SSH connection and have it play to any TV in the house.

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    You need DirectFB and then you can use mplayer with the dfbmga output driver.
    It's a bit tricky to set up but you can find detailed instructions in the wiki on directfb.org.

I want to do exactly the same thing, but I haven't been able to try it yet, because I don't have a TV. It would be nice if you would report back if it works.

Just Joined!
    I will try to take a look at that this weekend if I can find the time. I'll also have to find my TV-out dongle, but even if I don't locate that immediately I will test it with a VGA just so I can be on my way. I'm just hoping my Athlon 1.3GHz will be able to keep the frame rate up. I guess we'll see. It's mostly for my kids, so it just needs to be "good enough" to satisfy me. I'll let you know how it goes.