Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! (Who doesn't love a dancing banana?!) I purchased this Asus Eee PC 900 w/Linux (Xandros) a couple weeks ago and I still cannot figure out how to transfer ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Please-Samsung YP-K5J MP3 mounting probs etc

Hello everyone!

(Who doesn't love a dancing banana?!)

I purchased this Asus Eee PC 900 w/Linux (Xandros) a couple weeks ago and I still cannot figure out how to transfer mp3 files onto my Samsung YP-K5J MP3 player via the USB port.

I have toyed around in different ways and while my PC recognizes that there is a USB hook-up (I used a method I saw in another post, to see whether or not the PC recognizes a hook-up by opening a terminal & typing "lsusb" ... I think it was.), every time I try to transfer files from Amarok to the MP3, I get the configure box popping up on me.

I have downloaded an update (the site was recommended due to the format for being that it is NOT MTP.)
    for the MP3's firmware but the other computer here doesn't recognize the MP3 ... that's a whole other issue so if I can resolve this w/out the firmware update, I'd be just as happy.

Currently, there is a good chance that I have configured the device manager incorrectly.

I have:
    mount%/dev/sda1
    and
    eject%/dev/sda1

When I click on "connect", to connect my MP3, the configure box pops up and I press ok but only the connect button works. So, I keep getting the configure box. I'm lost.

I am a newbie and really, I find all these commands and shells confusing.
    I'm used to my former Dell laptop that had Windows XP on it.

Please simplify best you can so I understand ... I probably need step-by-step directions.

How can this be resolved? I tried to follow the "How to mount" tutorial but I only received errors. The only thing that worked was my password.

I have a Samsung YP-K5J
    1ULLA00059R
    4 GB 2006
    Firmware Version 1.03 WA JN
    Sliding & Tilt, 2 eternal speakers

Please help me so I can get on with my life! Seems I have invested a lot of time to this with research and such and haven't gotten anywhere.I have a bunch of links that either I get lost in or give me errors.

Thank you so kindly.
    Rev. B

Linux Guru
    I too have the Eee PC 900, but I replaced the operating system with Ubuntu. I found the Xandros that was installed to be very unfreindly. I originally installed Fedora on a 8GB SDHC card, and that worked good to.

I really can't help with your Xandros problems, as I have forgotten how to use that distro. It does do things a bit different, so not all of the instructions for regular Linux distros will apply to Xandros.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
    I too have the Eee PC 900, but I replaced the operating system with Ubuntu. I found the Xandros that was installed to be very unfreindly. I originally installed Fedora on a 8GB SDHC card, and that worked good to.

I really can't help with your Xandros problems, as I have forgotten how to use that distro. It does do things a bit different, so not all of the instructions for regular Linux distros will apply to Xandros.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi ... thanks but this newbie isn't prepared to install a different distro. Tempting but I'm not ready in the least.

Linux Guru
    If you have a USB CD drive, you can just boot Ubuntu in live mode and try it. No installation needed.

Otherwise you can prepare a bootable USB key on another PC. After booting into the LiveCD, there is a USB Startup Disk Creator you can use:

System>Administration>USB Startup Disk Creator

You can then use it to boot the Eee PC into Ubuntu Live mode. This way you can check how it works. If you find that you would like to install it, there is an "Install" icon on the desktop. I would ask here first before you install it, just to make sure everything is OK. You may want to use the Ubuntu derivative EasyPeasy, or the Ubuntu Netbook Remix.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!

Question

[QUOTE=waterhead;745114]If you have a USB CD drive, you can just boot Ubuntu in live mode and try it. No installation needed.

Otherwise you can prepare a bootable USB key on another PC. After booting into the LiveCD, there is a USB Startup Disk Creator you can use:

System>Administration>USB Startup Disk Creator

Thanks waterhead ... I will remember this post if the notion of switching to Ubantu ever tickles my fancy.

Linux Guru
    You don't have to switch, just try it. It will not change anything on your current operating system.