Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. I'm currently using Windows with my Creative X-FI XtremeMusic sound card, and Creative has this feature called CMSS-3D which allows you to expand stereo music to all of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] Stereo expand (CMSS-3D eq.) in Linux, does it exist?

Hi all.
    I'm currently using Windows with my Creative X-FI XtremeMusic sound card, and Creative has this feature called CMSS-3D which allows you to expand stereo music to all of your speakers (I've got a 5.1 setup).
    I'd really like to switch full-time to Linux but my music is utterly important to me and I'm desperate to know if there is a feature like CMSS-3D available on Linux. Perhaps not in the driver but as a software plugin or just something that works?

Regards,
    John

Just Joined!
    I don't think there is anything as good as CMSS-3D or Dolby Pro Logic II available in software on GNU/Linux, so i just use an external Creative decoder which uses Dolby Pro Logic II or DTS Neo:6 to expand stereo input to 5.1 channels. I feed Audigy 2 digital out (S/PDIF) into it. It also decodes DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 streams, which can be passed through the sound card without decoding. I also have a separate adapter for virtual surround in headphones, so i don't depend on any specific music or video player to do that.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply avenir.
    You know what's funny? I've had the Logitech Z5500 for several years and it was only now when I read your reply about external decoders that I started thinking if the Z5500 doesn't have a built-in decoder. It does! Why on earth did I not think about that before now. It turns out there's a "Dolby Pro Logic II Music" setting which sounds almost identical to CMSS-3D, if not better.
    The conclusion: I don't need CMSS-3d anymore since my Z5500 have a built in decoder.
    Thanks again for the reply.