Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Mencoder is a subset of audio/video applications. An enterprise distro is not the way to go for a beginner user. It has already been suggested that you use a desktop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Mencoder is a subset of audio/video applications. An enterprise distro is not the way to go for a beginner user.

It has already been suggested that you use a desktop distribution for better AV application support "out of the box." Do you think this suggestion was made for no reason? These suggestions are made by people that *do* know how to use Linux, but you reject them based on...your inexperience?

Let me give you an example...

More people are willing (and able) to assist with smaller/simpler problems. A more complex issue requiring many more steps and "hand holding" is more likely to be passed over. The easier solution for you and the helper is to start with a simpler base - one where you can also find all of this information via Google.

With an Ubuntu-based distro, you can resolve this with:

Code:
    apt-get install mplayer
    Mplayer and mencoder would then be installed. Where you're at now, you need to add repo's that have mplayer/mencoder (not supported by RedHat) and then resolve issues as they come up.

* To paraphrase someone else's signature on here - "90% of all solutions can be found with Google. I look forward to helping you with the other 10%"

* RHEL is not a newbie-distro. If you'd like a RedHat-based desktop-friendly distribution, Fedora would be the most common.

** Via Google, the MPlayer website says to use RPMForge repo's to install on RHEL 5.

Fedora and CentOS/RHEL RPM packages from RPMFusion
    RPMFusion
    Last edited by HROAdmin26; 02-20-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    Mencoder is a subset of audio/video applications. An enterprise distro is not the way to go for a beginner user.

It has already been suggested that you use a desktop distribution for better AV application support "out of the box." Do you think this suggestion was made for no reason? These suggestions are made by people that *do* know how to use Linux, but you reject them based on...your inexperience?

Let me give you an example...

More people are willing (and able) to assist with smaller/simpler problems. A more complex issue requiring many more steps and "hand holding" is more likely to be passed over. The easier solution for you and the helper is to start with a simpler base - one where you can also find all of this information via Google.

With an Ubuntu-based distro, you can resolve this with:

Code:
    apt-get install mplayer
    Mplayer and mencoder would then be installed. Where you're at now, you need to add repo's that have mplayer/mencoder (not supported by RedHat) and then resolve issues as they come up.

* To paraphrase someone else's signature on here - "90% of all solutions can be found with Google. I look forward to helping you with the other 10%"

* RHEL is not a newbie-distro. If you'd like a RedHat-based desktop-friendly distribution, Fedora would be the most common.
    My inexperience is not the issue, your attitude is. As I also stated in my initial post, I wasn't able to find anything helpful on Google. Again, it comes across as if you didn't even read my post, or at best skimmed it before you decided to berate me for no apparent reason. Coming on here and making demeaning statements like "Linux and Windows are not the same thing" as if I'm some sort of idiot is why you got scolded. You need to remember that many people find these threads on Google searches, and I speak from experience when I say it can be very frustrating having to waste time sifting through empty troll posts in hopes of finding a constructive answer. If you had simply made the point that this is not possible in RHEL without all the condescention, this lesson could've been averted.

Sorry all, but that's always been a pet peeve of mine. I often give similar lectures when I see newbies on other forums being belittled in this fashion. All it does is scares them away. But I digress.

At any rate, this information would've been very helpful when I was first setting up the box, but I've already invested a lot of time and effort into setting this up, and I'd like to avoid letting that go to waste if at all possible, but it looks like from what I'm seeing that simply is unavoidable.

The only thing I need this for is making mencoder work (specifically, removing sound with -nosound option, then replacing it with new sound from an MP3). A distro that works well with VMware (RHEL apparently doesn't) would also be nice. Now, before I go reformatting and starting from scratch, I want to make sure I'm installing a compatible OS this time around. Are you saying that Fedora is the best candidate for this?

Linux Guru
    You clearly have your own opinions about what you do and don't want to do, regardless of what is suggested to you.

I will just summarize what has already been said:

1) MPlayer's website says to use RPMFusion to install on RHEL 5. (I don't think your OS version has been stated yet.)

2) A desktop distro like Fedora, Ubuntu, or Mint will have much better AV support "out of the box."

3) In response to your frustration, I posted the "Linux is not Windows" link - this helps to set expectations that using Linux is a learning experience.

And it is important to understand that *unlike* Windows, where 2003 Server runs basically the same apps/services as XP or Vista, a *server* distribution in Linux is designed for the enterprise/data center - which precludes extensive support for AV applications.

* I use RHEL, SLES, and Debian heavily in VMware ESX 3/4 and Server 1/2 without any issues.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by HROAdmin26 View Post
    You clearly have your own opinions about what you do and don't want to do, regardless of what is suggested to you.

I will just summarize what has already been said:

1) MPlayer's website says to use RPMFusion to install on RHEL 5. (I don't think your OS version has been stated yet.)

2) A desktop distro like Fedora, Ubuntu, or Mint will have much better AV support "out of the box."

3) In response to your frustration, I posted the "Linux is not Windows" link - this helps to set expectations that using Linux is a learning experience.

And it is important to understand that *unlike* Windows, where 2003 Server runs basically the same apps/services as XP or Vista, a *server* distribution in Linux is designed for the enterprise/data center - which precludes extensive support for AV applications.

* I use RHEL, SLES, and Debian heavily in VMware ESX 3/4 and Server 1/2 without any issues.
    There's no need for you to get so defensive. You made a mistake; whether or not you learn from it is up to you.

In point of fact, I've been using various Linux distros sporadically over the last 8 years. But most of what I did was minor programming and web/db-related, so this sorta thing was simply out of my pervue. To assume that I don't know the difference between Linux and Windows simply betrays your own conceit.

Also, they aren't my "opinions" of what I want to do, it's simply what I want to do. *How* exactly this will be done is something I'm still figuring out, but you don't know what I want better than I do lol.

And once again, you completely ignored my post and just wasted even more thread space. So I'll ask again: Which OS would be the best candidate for what I described with Mencoder? You listed a few, but I'd like to narrow it down to just one so I don't have a repeat of all this headache. Is it Fedora or is there a better one for this?

(If you don't have a short, direct answer to this question, then please send me a private message with your grievances instead of spamming this thread again).

OSX. Definitely OSX. I think I'll go read some Eric S. Raymond now.

For audio, I would go with Linux mint, It has the best out of box experience for me and it is super newbie friendly. You can make this work on RHEL if you want, it'll be a learning experience.

ATrpms - installation instructions
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

And once again, you completely ignored my post and just wasted even more thread space. So I'll ask again: Which OS would be the best candidate for what I described with Mencoder? You listed a few, but I'd like to narrow it down to just one so I don't have a repeat of all this headache. Is it Fedora or is there a better one for this?
    Wow, this thread exploded.

I would also recommend Linux Mint. But if you have yet to switch/want to get it going with RHEL, we can work on that too.

Linux Guru
    Riiigggghhht. This thread was a "mplayer won't install" and now it's "what distro should I use?" How about one thread, one topic.

Alternate distro's have been suggested several times, as well as what repo to use for RHEL 5 - based on MPlayer's website and found with Google.

As you will find out, there is no "best Linux" for just about anything - it is up to the user to find what they like best. Threads asking "best Linux for XXX?" are generally quickly closed by the mods.

Linux Guru
    You can customize RHEL to play almost any audio/video file. You may need an extensive knowledge of RHEL and Linux to do this (I have done it). What you will end up with is something very similar to Fedora.

Why not make life easier and just use Fedora? RHEL does not have free access to it's repositories, so unless you plan on purchasing support from Red Hat, you are fighting an uphill battle.

Fedora has everything that RHEL has, and more. You can use Fedora as just a server, if you want. But you can also use it as a desktop.

As for the original error, I see that you are running the make command as root. You should be running everything as a normal user. Then only run the make install command with root privileges. This may not solve the problem, but it's worth a try.

And just a reminder. Everyone here is a volunteer. You can take or leave their recommendations. But NEVER insult a member! Please drop the attitude, or no one will help you.

Most of all, have fun!
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Linux Guru
    Oh, and a couple of other things to check.

Looking at the error, it looks to be a 'help' error. I see in the output of ./configure that yasm isn't installed. I believe that yasm is needed to make the help files, so installing it may get you past this error.

Look at all of the ./configure outputs that return a 'no'. This is usually because of a missing developmental version of a program. Some you can live without, some you can't. I don't know how you will install the needed developmental files in RHEL, as I compled mplayer in Fedora, and that was hard enough!

Edit: There is also a configure.log file created in your mplayer folder. Reading through this may give you a more detailed explanation on what is going wrong.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast