Find the answer to your Linux question:
hey all, if i wanted to build a gaming box, what hardware spec's would i require? what would be the minimum spec's of all the crucial compontents for the box, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] tried to find some answers but could not

hey all, if i wanted to build a gaming box, what hardware spec's would i require? what would be the minimum spec's of all the crucial compontents for the box, to run pretty much any latest release game at highest res and frame rates? (kick *** box)

and further to that, same q's for if i wanted to build a small form factor desktop (not necessarily a game rig), but wanted it to absolutely kick serious butt when it comes to full capability for compiz desktop effects, docks (docky) widgets, the new gnome dock... just all the graphically spectacular stuff that makes it look gooood....

i may not end up running too many games on the linux box, but i would want the spec's such that i could run them under a windows dual boot config and at the same time, the rig will be fully compatible to run linux.

thanks to all in advance...

Quote Originally Posted by efflux View Post
    and further to that, same q's for if i wanted to build a small form factor desktop (not necessarily a game rig), but wanted it to absolutely kick serious butt when it comes to full capability for compiz desktop effects, docks (docky) widgets, the new gnome dock... just all the graphically spectacular stuff that makes it look gooood....
    I can recommend this board:
    Intel Desktop Board DG45FC - Overview

I use it only with a Celeron Dual Core and 800er RAM, but it also supports the Quad Cores with faster ram. Together with a small SSD you will get a very small and silent box.

It is not for gaming really, but the onboard G45 graphics is still pretty decent. Enough power for Compiz and OpenArena. And it worked out of the box (Debian Unstable).
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Just Joined!
    You'll find some example builds here and it's a good place to ask hardware questions, but do some homework first. Start by deciding how much you want to spend, and have a look at on-line suppliers' sites in your country to get an idea of what you can afford.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close