MIDI does not work in GNU/Linux.

It doesn't work, due to the fact that the only free soundfont I've come across -- Freepats -- is missing a lot of instruments; this results in the typical:

Code:
No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 41 - this instrument will not be heard
No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 43 - this instrument will not be heard
No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 52 - this instrument will not be heard
No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 82 - this instrument will not be heard
I can see that these are indeed missing in the directory which contains my samples from Freepats:

Code:
036_Slap_Bass_1.pat:                         GUS patch
037_Slap_Bass_2.pat:                         GUS patch
038_Synth_Bass_1.pat:                        GUS patch
040_Violin.pat:                              GUS patch
042_Cello.pat:                               GUS patch
044_Tremolo_Strings.pat:                     GUS patch
045_Pizzicato_Strings.pat:                   GUS patch
046_Harp.pat:                                GUS patch
This is a small excerpt from my directory /usr/local/share/timidity/Tone_000, as can be seen e.g. 41 and 42 is there, but 41 is missing.

However:

Code:
x86_1# cat /etc/timidity/crude.cfg |grep 41
      041  Tone_000/042_Cello.pat
       41  Drum_000/041_Tom_Low_2.pat
Timidity is configured to play this instrument -- if it only existed -- so all I need is a proper soundfont that Timidity can read.

I've searched around a lot and come up with nothing, any ideas?

If the only solution is to pay for a soundfont, then fine, just tell me the name of a soundfont that will work without any hacking and/or modification or patches with Timidity.

If not even a (payware) soundfont like that exists -- if my only option is to buy something else than Timidity, that comes with its own proprietary soundfont, then please tell me the name of that, I'm tired of this.