Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I have to use aumix in one of my projects and I can't figure it out how to manage sound balance with aumix by using just command parameters. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Post How to control sound balance with aumix ?

Hello,
    I have to use aumix in one of my projects and I can't figure it out how to manage sound balance with aumix by using just command parameters. I would appreciate a straight answer to my problem.
    If it can't be done with aumix, I would like to know what program should I use (it has to be a console program with parameters).
    Respectfully,
    DataSmith

P.S.
    Please forgive my lousy english, it is not my primary language.

Linux Guru
    Welcome to Linux Forums!

Quote Originally Posted by datasmith View Post
    Hello,
    I have to use aumix in one of my projects...
    Why do you "have to" use aumix? Is this for a school class?
    ...and I can't figure it out how to manage sound balance with aumix by using just command parameters. I would appreciate a straight answer to my problem.
    If it can't be done with aumix, I would like to know what program should I use (it has to be a console program with parameters).
    Respectfully,
    DataSmith

P.S.
    Please forgive my lousy english, it is not my primary language.
    Your english seems fine to me. Please forgive MY lousy english, and it IS my primary language!

It looks like all the info you need is in the aumix man pages. Run this command to see it, page up/down to scroll.
    Code:
    man aumix
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Hi !

Thank you for your quick reply,
    I am an IT student and I am doing a university project in Java/Swing (a frontend for Timidity++, to be more precise <a future midi music management application>).
    My application has a balance control too (horizontal scrollbar) which I can't figure out how to make it work. The only thing I can do is to call a system command with an actionlistener, which is ok.
    The problem is that I can't get aumix to control the pcm channel balance, it changes only the volume, for example: "aumix -w 'value' ". This call is perfect for the volume control, but what about the balance ?
    Could you give me some examples of parameters for aumix ?
    I am preety good at using the console, but now I got very cofused .
    If aumix isn't the right choice for this, what console program should I use (for alsa) and how ?
    I tried amixer, alsamixer with no luck.
    I would not like to control the volume/balance of the pcm channel from the jdk.

Thank you,
    DataSmith

Linux Guru
    Sorry, but the forum rules prohibit homework questions.
    2. No religious or political posts, and no homework questions
    I gave you as much help as I could. You should experiment with the options that aumix gives. All of the parameters are in the aumix man pages. Did you read them? The trial and error method is how I would do it.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Hi,

Well, I read all the forum rules and I am aware of it.
    Thank you for all your help and sorry for any misunderstanding.
    The application that I am building is my own project, not a homework.
    Belive me, here homeworks are not made on/for unix-like systems.
    I am developing this for a year now and when I will finish it, I'll make it opensource
    I couldn't find a good midi player (firstly for myself for listening to midi files) for linux/bsd so I started my own frontend for Timidity++ because it works very well with .sf2 soundfonts (the gui parts of timidity are very basic).
    I previously said that it is a university project beacuse when I will finish it and when it will be open source, I intend to present it to my teachers so they can see how good and powerfull open source software can be and that is all.
    Once again thank you for your replies and your time.

Have a lot of fun !
    DataSmith

Linux Guru
    OK, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I am not very familiar with terminal audio programs. In aumix, I cannot seem to control the PCM either.

There is the alsa family of programs that you could try:
    aplay
    amixer
    arecord
    alsamixer
    alsactl

I'm not sure if you can get the desired control with any of those programs either.
    Last edited by waterhead; 04-08-2010 at 10:26 AM.

Linux Guru
    There also is the application named sox. It seems that is can manipulate playing of an audio file.