Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am terminally stuck with sound card setup on this old laptop with on-board sound card: Model: Toshiba Tecra 730CDT OS: Damn Small Linux 4.4.10 Here's what I see ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Setting up sound card on Damn Small Linux, old laptop

Hello,

I am terminally stuck with sound card setup on this old laptop with on-board sound card:

Model: Toshiba Tecra 730CDT

Here's what I see if I get into the BIOS setup:

Sound card config:
    WSS I/O Address = 534H
    SBPro I/O Address = 220H
    Synthesizer I/O Address = Others(318H)
    WSS & SBPro IRQ Level = IRQ5
    WSS & SBPro DMA
    Playback = Channel 0
    Record = Channel 1
    Control I/O Address = 120H

I have installed ALSA utils, and I boot the DSL with alsa boot option. I don't know what driver to install and where, and I don't have any idea if DSL is aware of any sound hardware presence at all.

In DSL, typing command lspci does not bring up any sound hardware. I don't know if there's any other command that should show any unrecognized hardware. Or maybe that coundcard is not considered PCI device, I have no idea. All that I know is that it worked in Win98, that was previously installed on this PC.

Given that I know all the ports and IRQs, and the fact that this sound card emulates SoundBlaster, could someone, please, prop me in the right direction? Right now I hate to admit I am fumbling with random ALSA installs and configurations, without any sense and success.

Try this:
    Code:
    aplay -l
    I'm not too sure if DSL has it installed by default but it should come with Alsa.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I am not sure if this script (inxi) will work in DSL. It does for me in Puppy. You could give it a shot and it will tell you more than lspci does in DSL.

Link

You might read the site I refer you (in my tutorial) to and see if the depends for inxi are installed in Damn Small Linux also. If you run inxi in terminal it will tell you why it would not start and what was missing to run it. If you look at my 3rd screenshot you can see the audio chipset and what driver it uses and what alsa version also.

I would not try tyo install smxi script in DSL. Just inxi. The command

Code:
    cd /usr/local/bin && wget -Nc smxi.org/inxi && chmod +x inxi
    entered in terminal as root user is all you should need to do to install inxi in DSL.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home