Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I'm a LONG time lurker first time poster here, but I have a question on a project that I'm trying to build. I've tried searching on here, but ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Remote Linux Jukebox

Hey all,

I'm a LONG time lurker first time poster here, but I have a question on a project that I'm trying to build. I've tried searching on here, but I've come up empty (maybe wrong search terms), so here goes.

I'm building a Jukebox/Streaming Radio out of an old radio that I found in a junk store. It's a mini-ITX (Dual-Core Atom) system running CentOS 5.

What my question is about is is there a media player that I can remotely control what is coming out of the local speakers? Basically I'd like to have a remote control over the local media player, I'd rather not need a local display/input if possible.

Any help would be much appreciated, and if you need more information please let me know.

EDIT: I should probably add that I have checked out Jinzora and VLC, but they seem to only be streaming media players rather than controlling a remote media client.

Just Joined!
    If all your looking to do is control what is played locally, I know "winamp" has various plugins to let you do this, either as a web interface or through the command line. Or you can even edit the playlist file through ftp I think.

It also has support for streaming media if you need it (through shoutcast).

Thats about all i know other than VLC :/

Thank you for your reply, I'll check out those winamp plugins, this is a bit of foreign ground to me. I was reading about an Amarok plugin, but apparently that was only for version 1.4 when they switched from DCOP to DBUS, there is one on Google code for amarok 2, but that is only for the iPhone at this point.

If anyone else has other options, let me know.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Am I understanding that you want to use a computer to control the jukebox?

Because if that is the case, perhaps something as rdesktop or a vnc connection may work for you. rdesktop is usually pre-installed or easily obtainable on most distros.

Another thing you can do is run Amarok over ssh, but that means you have to keep the session open on the client.
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Freston View Post
    Am I understanding that you want to use a computer to control the jukebox?
    Yes, that is what I want to do.

I thought about running amarok over ssh using XWin32, but as you said the problem would be having a persistent ssh connection which would not really be feasible considering all my other machines are laptops that do get moved around from office to office.

I didn't think of rdesktop though, that may be the best option. The reason I wanted to use amarok (besides the fact that it's my fave) is the professional layout and how easy it is to maintain the database for my songs. Can you connect to rdesktop using a windows client? I have linux boxes at my house (I dumped Windows a while back), but if a friend comes over and wants to setup a playlist or something they usually run Windows.

@aber0cks

I looked into the winamp option, and it seems I would have to go through wine in order to run it, and I haven't had the greatest luck with that in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by shatteredsteel
    Can you connect to rdesktop using a windows client?
    Yeah, it's cross-platform running over the RDP protocol.

I'm not fully sure whether Windows machines have it on board by default. But I even think they do.

If that is the case, that would make life Real Easy... no 3d party installs, cross platform and all that... exactly how it should be
    Can't tell an OS by it's GUI

Couldn't agree more, that's what drove me away from Windows in the first place. That and the lack of a decent command line.