Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
i tried using wine and couldnt get them to work...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

i tried using wine and couldnt get them to work

Just Joined!
    I'm sorry to hear that - which distros have you tried? What have been the specific problems you have encountered?

The following steps have worked faultlessly for 3 different installs of Ubuntu Karmic 9.10:

1. Go to Ubuntu Software Manager and search for Wine
    2. Install Wine
    3. When Wine has installed, download the Windows Steam client from the Steam website and run it.
    4. When Steam has installed and you have logged in, it will probably update a load of stuff (it does this on Windows too). Download Counterstrike Source or another game. I have found that about 50%-60% of the games have worked so far. Left4Dead also works perfectly if you like shooters.

Hope you can get it working!

Just Joined!
    i tried it on linux mint and ubuntu 10.4 lts i got counter strike to load up once but after like five minutes the game crashed and it wouldnt start up after that but im gonna try again with the steps you listed and im gonna try the same version also

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Let us know how you get on.

Another tip for getting games to work is to use winecfg (you should have a shortcut in Ubuntu under "Other") and go to the "Graphics" tab and select "Emulate virtual desktop".

This runs the games in a window instead of full screen which my not be what you want, but I find it helps when testing things out. You can usually switch a Windows game to full-screen while it is running, once you are happy with how it is performing.

Just Joined!
    ok will do

Just Joined!
    ok well i still cant get steam or counterstrike to work at all on ubuntu this is driving me nuts

Just Joined!
    Do you have any more info about what is happening on your machine - any errors or windows popping up briefly?

Does anything run in Wine? You said that you ran Counterstrike once before and then it crashed, so that means that you had Steam working at one point?

If it is a new install of Ubuntu - have you been installing and uninstalling lots of things? I only ask because on my first install, I did loads of things and followed loads of guides and ended up making a real mess of my Ubuntu - I had 2 versions of Wine and didn't know which one was running when I ran my games! I started from scratch with Ubuntu 9.10 and all is well...

Anyway, if you tell us exactly what is and is not working, we may be able to help

Just Joined!
    ok im not getting any error windows popping up the steam window will not pop up at all when i click on the steam icon it is a fresh install of ubuntu and i havent installed or uninstalled anything the main thing is that the steam window wont pop up at all and the only game i got to run in wine and stay running was guild wars and the first time i got counter strike to run with wine it just kept crashing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2