Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
hi im new to the forums but i just wanted to say i read an article the other day that said that a version of steam is being developed for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking steam on linux

hi im new to the forums but i just wanted to say i read an article the other day that said that a version of steam is being developed for linux and i wanted to know if that is true if so i am going to switch to ubuntu for the moment because right now i am running vista and i hate it i play counter strike alot and i have tried to get it to work on a few different distros but everytime i tried the game would always crash i am tired of windows and i really want to start using linux but i want to be able to play at least some of my games for now but the biggest one is counter strike if anyone can give me any info on how to get the game to work without crashing i would greatly appreciate it

this is just a rumor, some people think its true because there is a steam client for mac coming out, and there are some comments and what not inside pointing to linux stuff, but that doesn't mean it will work or is going to happen

Just Joined!
    o ok so what would you recomend i do to get steam and counter strike to work with out crashing and what distro would be the best to use

oz
    forum.guy
    Hello and welcome!

If you haven't already seen it, here's a screenshot of the Steam client for Linux. They've posted several articles there that might give you additional info if you haven't already read them.
    oz

Just Joined!
    actually that is the article that i read but i just wanted to be sure that all of this hype was true i would really love for this to happen i have fallen in love with linux and i want to switch i just need my games haha can anyone recomend any good distros because im not 100 percent sure on what distro i want to go with

oz
    forum.guy
    I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen, but it at least appears that some serious thought is being given to the project. In the end, it probably won't matter which Linux distribution you choose to run it on.
    oz

Just Joined!
    ok well i greatly appreciate the help thank you very much

oz
    forum.guy

More on Steam for Linux

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!
    [Phoronix] It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!

It sounds like an announcement from Valve will be coming soon.
    oz

Just Joined!
    awsome i have been waiting so long for this to happen i cant wait

Just Joined!
    The Windows version of Steam runs perfectly on Ubuntu if you install Wine. And the even better news is that Counterstrike runs great on it too!

Both run as if they were native to Ubuntu which is even nicer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast