Find the answer to your Linux question:
OK so i installed wine doors and play on Linux on Linux mint and i installed steam on both and tried them out but every time i tried to start ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy need steam help on linux mint

OK so i installed wine doors and play on Linux on Linux mint and i installed steam on both and tried them out but every time i tried to start up steam the login window wont pop up and i don't know what to do i have seen a lot of you-tube videos of people getting this to work but i cant i even installed direct x from play on Linux and i got the login window to pop up once but it wont pop up any more if anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it

Have you tried the "remove-blob-fix?" From the command line:
    Code:
    cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Steam
    rm ClientRegistry.blob
    Restart Steam.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    no i havent would i type that in the terminal im sorry im so new to linux im still trying to get used to things

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Not a problem, don't be afraid to ask if you don't know something. Yes, open a terminal and put those commands in. You can actually copy those commands above and paste them into your terminal. Paste in the first line and press enter. This puts you in the right directory. Then, paste the second line into the terminal and press enter. That deletes the file. Close the terminal and restart Steam.

Just Joined!
    ok well i did what you said and still nothing when i start up steam it will show steam down on the taskbar but the login window still wont pop up i have tried clicking on it but that doesnt even work i got it to work in ubuntu but when i tried to launch counter strike the game would just crash do you think it might be something with linux mint itself and thank you very much for all of the help your giving me

If Steam was working well for you on this same machine under Ubuntu then I can't see why it wouldn't work equally well under Mint. I've discovered from time to time, files in the wine directory do get scrambled and things suddenly don't work as well as they once did. I'm not sure what causes this but it does happen. Just a few weeks ago, The forward and back keys simply wouldn't function for me in HL. Rather than spend countless hours trying to troubleshoot it, I simply started from scratch, wiping my old Steam directory and re-installing everything. That fixed it along with a few other problems it seemed to be developing. If you cannot find any solutions, you might want to consider doing the same.

Just Joined!
    ok i will just start over i was up all night trying to fix it but it wasnt worth it so i will just post another thread up here when and if i get it working and again thank you because this is driving me nuts i have been using windows vista for awhile now and i hate it thats why i want to do he switch but i want to be able to play my games i wish valve would hurry up and port steam over to linux already i mean they have the beta out for macs so they might as well do it for linux too as well as alot of other games devoplers

Personally, it really miffs me they haven't given us a Steam port. All these years they've used Linux servers to serve up their online games and Linux has been a big part of that success. Yet they port for Windows and Mac and don't even consider a port for us.

Just Joined!
    yea same here i would love for steam to be on linux that is really the only thing thats holding me back but lets jjust hope the rumors about them portiing steam to linux are true

Quote Originally Posted by noob2linux View Post
    yea same here i would love for steam to be on linux that is really the only thing thats holding me back but lets jjust hope the rumors about them portiing steam to linux are true
    I've since discovered this!

It's Official: Valve Releasing Steam, Source Engine For Linux!