Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I've just installed WoW using wine, but I can't get it to run. When I try to run the launcher I get an error message saying 'launcher couldn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cannot start wow

Hi guys,

I've just installed WoW using wine, but I can't get it to run. When I try to run the launcher I get an error message saying 'launcher couldn't be executed for some reason. Pleas close all other applications and try again.' And when I try to open WoW.exe I get an error saying a certain intruction accessed some bit of memory that could not be read.

I don't think this is a permissions issue, although I could be wrong. I have kdemod running on arch , so using dolphin, i navigated to the home folder right clicked on the .wine folder, scrolled down to 'root actions' and changed the permissions so the owner could read, right, and execute; then I gave the permissions of the .wine folder and everything within to my normal user. After all of this I am still experiencing issues.

I read a post suggesting I use winetricks to install a few different things, and I did but they didn't work. I tried to link to the post, but the forums won't let me.

I have run the blizzard repair tool, and this did not work either.

Thanks for any help!

UPDATE:
    I deleted the world of warcraft folder on wine's virtual c drive, so I could try the blizzard world of warcraft installer. It runs fine, untill it progresses past the first stage, which is to download world of warcraft files. When it completes a little window pops up that says 'Failed to download world of warcraft installer. Please close all applications and try again.'

Interesting...

you didn't install as root user did you?

i would try running file on the command line and see what error messages if any are displayed