Find the answer to your Linux question:
Results 1 to 7 of 7
I'm going to go ahead and apologize in advance because I'm sure there have been threads like this made a lot in the past. Sorry if that's the case. Anyway, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5

    Steam and Linux


    I'm going to go ahead and apologize in advance because I'm sure there have been threads like this made a lot in the past. Sorry if that's the case.

    Anyway, I plan on using Linux a lot over the summer. I'm pretty much a TF2 and L4D addict, so you can imagine that I'll be very happy when Steam comes out for Linux. However, until then, I'll be doing my best to run TF2 and Steam over WINE. From what I understand, the Left 4 Dead games won't run so well, but they're not my main focus.

    I've read a few articles that explain how to get Team Fortress 2 working over WINE. After reading comments, it seems to be a hit or miss situation. Some people were able to get it working, others weren't. I'm basically looking for anyone here who might have worked with Source games over WINE, or anyone who knows about it. Any advice or whatever you can give me would be appreciated.

    Here are the specs for the computer I plan to build, if anyone needs them:

    AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz
    80GB Western Digital hard drive
    ATI Radeon HD4550 graphics card
    2GB RAM
    ASRock N68-S AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 7025 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

    Also, will I be able to find the correct drivers for all of this? I want to make sure everything will work ahead of time.

  2. #2
    Linux Enthusiast meton_magis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    699
    none of this should be paticularly hard to find drivers for. the only thing you'll probably need to manualy get is your ATI driver.

    what distro are you using? Have you tried wine out yet? What were the results?

    When you run apps in wine, always run them from the command line, then you can easily see the output and errors wine gives, you can then take those, and plug them into google to figure out what happened.

    did you check the winehq appdatabase? what tests have been done for your game / distro? were they successful? did they mention what tweaks had to be done to get it working?
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

  3. #3
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by meton_magis View Post
    none of this should be paticularly hard to find drivers for. the only thing you'll probably need to manualy get is your ATI driver.

    what distro are you using? Have you tried wine out yet? What were the results?

    When you run apps in wine, always run them from the command line, then you can easily see the output and errors wine gives, you can then take those, and plug them into google to figure out what happened.

    did you check the winehq appdatabase? what tests have been done for your game / distro? were they successful? did they mention what tweaks had to be done to get it working?
    I'll try to get all of these answered.

    I'm using the latest version of Ubuntu, 10.04 if I'm not mistaken. I installed Ubuntu and WINE on my other computer last night to try it out. I got Team Fortress 2 running, but it was very laggy, even on low settings.

    I checked the WineHQ database, and supposedly TF2 is one of the easiest things to get running. Not sure what tests were done, but they did have the tweaks to get it going. Supposedly it'll have to be on very low settings, but it should run. I'll try out running it on DirectX 8 tomorrow, maybe it'll be faster.

    However, I'd love it if someone could run the game on the specs (or something close to the specs) of the computer I'm going to build, and let me know how well it runs on a much better computer. I haven't been able to find anything like that, so I'm not sure how well it would do.

  4. #4
    Linux Enthusiast meton_magis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    699
    do be aware that many games don't run as well in wine as they do natively. This is not true in ALL instances, as I've had World of warcraft (I'm ashamed to even say it) run better on Linux than it did on my windows partition of the same PC.

    However you are trying to force an oval peg into a round hold, sometimes it's easy, sometimes it's not.

    Many games dual boot for that very reason. Games are the most complex applications you can find, and it takes a lot of work to get them running in wine. Most gamers don't want to wait until they work in wine to play them.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

  5. #5
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    5
    Well, Valve will supposedly be releasing Steam for Linux before the end of the summer, so if I were to go the Linux route, I hopefully wouldn't have to wait too long until it could be run natively.

    However, I'm at the point where I'm kind of questioning whether or not I should go ahead and use Linux. If TF2 isn't going to run well on the computer I'm already testing it out on, I'm not sure if better hardware would make a difference. I hope it will, but like I said, I have no way to test that until I actually get the computer, and I can't seem to find any benchmarks with a similar setup anywhere.

  6. #6
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofConvoy View Post
    However, I'm at the point where I'm kind of questioning whether or not I should go ahead and use Linux.
    If the majority of what you do with your computer is play commercial video games, then you're definitely going to face an uphill battle in Linux. Those types of systems (for the moment) are still best served with some flavor of MS Windows.

    There's no shame in realizing what you need and using the OS that fits that need. Hopefully, as you said, when Valve releases Steam on Linux that will open up whole new worlds for gaming on it. Until then, use what works best for you.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  7. #7
    Linux Enthusiast meton_magis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by KingofConvoy View Post
    Well, Valve will supposedly be releasing Steam for Linux before the end of the summer, so if I were to go the Linux route, I hopefully wouldn't have to wait too long until it could be run natively.

    However, I'm at the point where I'm kind of questioning whether or not I should go ahead and use Linux. If TF2 isn't going to run well on the computer I'm already testing it out on, I'm not sure if better hardware would make a difference. I hope it will, but like I said, I have no way to test that until I actually get the computer, and I can't seem to find any benchmarks with a similar setup anywhere.
    I would still recommend you dual boot your system. Hard drive space is cheap. Even if all you want to do is see if it'll work on linux, may as well try it, it's cheap to run linux as long as you have the bandwidth to download the install disk. If I used linux for nothing more than doing my online banking, I'd still install linux on every PC I owned. The online security is just too great to pass it up.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

    RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •