Find the answer to your Linux question:
I finally got round to logging back into windows and then in the process of installing some old games somehow managed to overwrite some new versions of files with old ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

So... I broke windows

I finally got round to logging back into windows and then in the process of installing some old games somehow managed to overwrite some new versions of files with old versions (that probably predate xp...) and now it's nagging me for the XP disk which obviously I've not had for years and years and years.

Now my question is, should I try and undo whatever I did which is probably trivial to do if I think about it, or should I give up on windows and try and play my games using WINE or some similar thing?

The games that I currently play are:

Oblivion, Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate, Civilisation 4

The games that I might like to play if I ever find the stupid antipiracy codes:

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (and 2), Sim City 4, Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale II

Games I'd like to play if they would stop saying variations on "your disks are too scratched thats what you get for just leaving them on a pile on top of your computer!":

Baldurs Gate II

(OK I admit it, the Sims 3 falls into the latter two categories as well but shhh!)

Best way is, check if all games work fine with WINE. You can give up Windows OS anytime but it is better be sure before doing that.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by devils casper View Post
    Best way is, check if all games work fine with WINE. You can give up Windows OS anytime but it is better be sure before doing that.
    I'm pretty sure the ones I actually have the disks/codes for do

The rest less so, but I'm probably kidding myself when I think I'm ever gonna get a chance to play them again *sigh*

neverwinter nights if I recall has a native linux install available on bioware's site. I remember playing it on linux w/o wine. Icewind dale is so old, it will probably run ok, but you'd best check WineHQ - Run Windows applications on Linux, BSD, Solaris and Mac OS X their app database, or just install and test. the others I don't know.

The best thing to do might just be to install wine, and try the stuff out. can't hurt.
    New to the internet, technical forums, or the hacker / open source community??
    Read this to learn good posting habits http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

RHCE for RHEL version 5
    RHCT for RHEL version 4

Just Joined!
    You can do what I did and just up and say *CENSORED* Windows and make
    the switch. The only thing that was holding me back was gaming, but the money
    I was spending keeping Windows (and the extra software) going just wasn't
    worth it anymore.

My first install of Ubuntu I got STEAM and Lord of the Rings Online working. I'm
    set. At least, until The Old Republic comes around... and hopefully I'll be able to
    play.